GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:05:58 -0700
Saul,

I really did not intend to break your heart. Trust me, we are still in the
same boat. "The whole truth and nothing but the truth." That's the very
reason why I reacted to your message the way I did.
Saul, I think you and I have one thing in common. We cannot stand the stench
of lies and distortions. Especially when it involves the common people. I do
not intend to take this any further, but I'm obliged to clarify my position.

I really do not see the need for you to higlight the issue of Jaiteh being
my in-law. I mentioned it only because I expected your exact reactions
:"You've really broken my heart." I didn't want to leave you in the dark
only for you to find out later and then say "aha! that's the reason behind
all this."
NO, not that, absolutely not. You know that at the bottom of your heart
Saul.
Allow me to quote you:

"Rather I have a BIG problem with the fact that the majority of    Gambians
-including yourself, do not speak out against injustice loud enough, unless
and until they are personally affected."

Prudence, Saul-:) Don't make conclusions based on your instincts.

"But for the fact that Mr. Jaiteh is your in-law, you feel I should
apologize to him for pointing out what is essentially our problem as
Gambians: not getting involved unless an issue affects us personally."

No , I never "felt" that you should apologize. You are entitled to your
opinion. All I wanted you to realize is that if you had done a little bit of
homework, ask a few questions before arriving at your conclusion, "you will
be tempted to apologize" for what you've said.
No Saul, not because he is my in-law. You know this fact!

"But in any case, if you had pointed out a factual problem with my opinion,
I'll see the need to apologize."

Sorry Saul, even though there is a factual problem with your message, it has
more of a logical distortion than any thing else. I mentioned the word
"prudence" to get your attention to that.

About the Matarr Njie deal, those of us who have been on the list for a
while, can remember that the very thing you are accusing Jaiteh of not
doing...voicing out his opinion all the time....is what started the whole
Matarr Njie saga. Knowing the gentleman he is, Jaiteh decided to give it a
break.
I'm at pains going into all this Saul. Simply because I know he will not
like me going this far with you not to mention how others will see it having
at the back of their minds that he's my in-law.

You know Saul, there is nothing wrong in letting others pin point your
errors. If nothing else, you can learn from them. Don't take this the wrong
way, but you have to understand that human beings are different in many
ways. You and I have no problem pouncing our key boards day in day out to
make sure that the voice of the innocent is heard. we will be labeled
anything from A-Z, but we will not budge. Others are doing the same in a
different manner, yet we are all in for the same cause. Trying to lure
others into your way by concluding on their behavior with logically
distorted insinuations is not the best way to go. The very reason I
mentioned this quote:

"Of those who say nothing, few are silent."

  - Thomas Neill

I hope my point is clear enough. It's been a long day for me. Since Jaiteh
himself has taken you up on the task, I know he'll do better than I would. I
will be happy to clarify myself further if you so wish.
Please don't take this personal. It is only through the wisdom of others
that we can nourish our own wisdom. I'm ready to learn from you and everyone
else out there.

BTW, I'll be looking for you in DC in two weeks time. Drop me a line and
I'll give you a phone number I can be reached at.

Enjoy your evening.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519