GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:32:24 -0500
Angelika, your points are well taken.  Very interesting.  As far as malaria
goes, in a way, I do think that the pharmaceutical industry does have a
vested interest in treating malaria, because it is in other places besides
Africa, and there are many tourists who do travel to malarious areas.  If
you don't think they make their money off of it, here in the US, the last
time I traveled to The Gambia, 8 pills of Lariam cost me $75, but I was told
that the very same drug, I could have gotten in The Gambia very cheaply, but
I'm not sure what the price was.
     Another thing I thought of, I saw a news story on NBC news a while back
that told how senior citizens were traveling to Mexico to get their
Prescriptions filled because the medicine was so much cheaoper over there.
And I think they go to Canada to.
     In both cases, of The Gambia and Mexico, they sell the drugs chaper,
but they tell us here in the US not to buy them because they are not as
good.  Aren't they all processed at the same plant?  So they have to be the
same?
     I'm just saying that the drug companies make their money by jacking the
prices of their medicines up in the "developed" world.
It is just some thoughts.
Ginny
 prices o