GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:45:25 -0400
For these past several days I have been sicken to my stomach, and very
much disappointed with the outcome of the Presidential election.
Clearly, the Gambian people have made their decision, and inasmuch I am
still convinced that they were woefully wrong, their decision is
paramount. The Gambian people have spoken and President Elect Jammeh is
given mandate to govern for another five years.

 Well-deserved congratulations to the opposition for not being sore
losers, by accepting defeat and respecting the will of the people, which
clearly amplify their commitment to a peaceful and democratic Gambia. To
the GL, a medium that has played a vital role by making most of us in
the Diaspora to be part of the electoral process and has tirelessly
fought for what is seen as the reluctant embracing of the democratic
values in the Gambia, you deserve a high five and a job well done.
Surely, most of us on the GL are disappointed, but we cannot rush to
judgment in analyzing the results and stand pointing fingers. Because
from these results lie the answers to future victories. Yes, we are
angry, disappointed and utter confused with the Gambian voters, but now
as ever, maturity, principles, wisdom and powerful ideas should be the
bedrock to our search for a better Gambia. Our fight was never a hatred
for Jammeh, I hope, but our collective commitment and belief that as
sons and daughters of our Gambia, we have to do whatever it takes to
bring about a develop, democratic and promising Gambia. From the little
democratic values injected into this year’s presidential election, the
GL has contributed to the shaping of our dear country’s political
direction. That is a hell of an accomplishment that cannot be
overlooked, especially to the people who are thinking of moving on. Well
if we all move on, who will still fight for the poor farmer in Sandu, or
the Zero-income earner mother with six children in Palen; we just cannot
give up.

To the opposition I will say, and no intention of consolation rhetoric,
remember 47% of the electorate rejected President Jammeh and the APRC.
Before the elections we had the enormous tasks of coming up with at
least 51% of the votes to deny an APRC government. Forty seven percent
of the voters agreed with us this time around.  If we hold our ground,
and be proven right in the next several years to come that the Jammeh
agenda cannot and will not address the real plight of our people for the
next five years, we will only be saddled with the task of convincing
four percent of the people that voted for Jammeh to switch their vote in
2006. The Presidential elections are over, and we need to immediately
comb through the results and begin the next phase of the legislative
elections in February. Now than ever, a tactical alliance is needed
within the opposition party to bring about dynamic, well-informed
national assembly members. Having a voice in the National Assembly of
people that will not cow tow to the Executive branch, and will put of a
serious fight to deter any form of tinkering with the Constitution
should be our preoccupation. The strategy of each party for itself will
only bring about a national assembly full of Greens, and I mean GREEN
PEOPLE, and it will not be funny.  Furthermore, the National Assembly
elections should not be against Jammeh, but rather for a campaign to
elect serious and competent people that can effectively address the real
issues confronting our country.

To President Elect-Jammeh, congratulation and may God give you the
wisdom to steer the ship to save harbor.

Thanks

Musa Jeng