EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:55:44 -0500
Bulletin 4

At last, a significant item about exercise in the context of human
evolution!

The item comes from the July 2002 Journal of Applied Physiology and is
summarized in accessible language at:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/07/020716080427.htm by the
American Physiological Society.

In essence, the article reviews the links between some 20 of the most
chronic and deadly medical disorders and the level of physical
activity/sedentism.

First, the article outlines the pattern and intensity of paleolithic
physical activity.  They suggest a model incorporating:

•  an irregular pattern of 1 to 4 days of relatively intensive physical
activity

•  the periods of intensive activity separated by 1 to 4 days of lighter
activity: preparation for the next hunt, nomadism, toolmaking

•  the lighter activity periods also including recreational activity:
particularly occasional extended, demanding and exhausting dances.

Secondly, the article does not stop at indicating how our bodies require
intensive exercise to build muscle, burn fat, refine agility and improve
health.  It goes much further by suggesting that our propensity to succumb
to cancers, cardiovascular diseases, metabolic disorders and
musculoskeletal disorders is genetically inherited, but suppressed by

<a lack of physical activity leads to failure of the maintenance of normal
signaling by cellular networks that activate our paleolithic genome. Since
the normal orchestration of protein expression in cells in humans was
selected during our species evolution, when physical activity was higher
than today, an altered protein expression of cells from sedentary
individuals is associated with a higher incidence of chronic conditions.>

If the article is correct,

<this research also suggests that the publicized searches for genes
causing chronic illnesses are too limited. In addition, scientists should
explore how selected activity genes are misexpressed as a result of a
sedentary lifestyle. These findings challenge those engaged in using the
human genome sequence to fight disease to recognize the activity genes
that produce diseases when inactivity occurs. They repeat their call for
us to participate in more physical activity to prevent a wide range of
chronic disorders.>

Thirdly, the article reviews major disorders in each of the four groups,
suggesting statistically significant relationships between sedentism and
disorders and between exercise and wellness.

(A copy of each of these bulletins is also posted on www.evfit.com)

Keith