EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:04:56 -0500
Robb

Yes, it was a disappointment.  Interestingly, I see that a reviewer on
amazon.com has written
__________

Good Book but Leaves Out Cordain's Great Research, January 5, 2002
Reviewer: Scott from Seattle, WA United States
Dr. Cordain has written an excellent book for the general public. I would
have like to see the book cover more of the technical aspects of Cordain's
work as there is considerable "data" supporting this diet.
__________

I have also posted a review to amazon and expect to see it published in a
week or so.  My amazon review is more positive than the review I posted
here.  We here are a small, self-selected group and our expectations
are a
bit higher than the average reader, so I could make criticisms here that
would go right over the heads of the average book buyer.  And I hope lots
of average book buyers do buy and read The Paleo Diet.  There is much in it
for them.  Just because the book is not the one we wanted to see does not
mean we should not support it.  I have bought two copies and Wiley have
promised me a review copy.  My unmarked copy is already out on loan and I
have other friends waiting in line to borrow it.

For me personally, the book have given me the impetus I needed to break
from 28 years of vegetarianism (with, I must say, excellent health, low
body fat and lots of lean mass).  Since July last year I have been on a
vegetarian version of Rob Faigin's NHE diet.  That has been great!

Now I have to re-learn how to cook meat.  We'll need to buy more than a
single bottle of dishwashing liquid a year.  We'll have to
get the electric
fan in the kitchen ceiling fixed.  We'll have to look in a butcher's shop
again.  This will be mildly interesting, but only mildly, as I have had no
craving for meat all these years.  But it will be very satisfying to know I
have taken a step closer to recreating a Paleo environment for my body.

The Paleo Diet has given me the impetus to do this, partly by giving me the
information I need to select the meats to buy - the omega 3 / omega 6
balance is something I was vaguely aware of before; now I know enough to
apply that awareness to my daily life.

Finally, I urge everyone on this Group to buy and read and lend The Paleo
Diet.  It updates Neanderthin and may be the best we will have out there in
the mass market for some time.

Keith