EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:06:46 -0500
I want to share some information that may be of interest to readers on
the list.  We've talked about about building muscle and reducing fat,
but good is a great body without a working brain??

COX-2 inhibitors, such as Vioxx or Celebrex, are big in the news these
days for being potent anti-inflammatories without the COX-1 effects of
their relatives like ketoprofen, which cause stomach ulcerations among
other things.  Somehow in researching COX-2 inhibitors, I learned that
1) COX-2 inhibitors also reduce brain inflammation and may break up
amyloid plaques in the brain, which is the structural signature of
Alzheimers and that 2) curcumin, a compound found in tumeric, is a
natural COX-2 inhibitor.  Supposedly, the incidence of Alzheimer's in
India--big curry eaters--among the 65 and over population is merely 1%

Research shows that piperine, a compound found in black pepper, greatly
enhances the bioavailability of curcumin in the body.  A patent was
awarded to an Indian company this specific use of piperine.  (I think
lef.org sells this curcumin+piperine combination. I've increased my
curry intake and haven't tried this formulation.)

I noticed in Ronald Klatzman's "Stopping the Clock" book that some of
the personal supplementation plans of the anti-aging experts included
pregenolone.  Later when I was looking into curcumin and the brain, I
learned that this is some sort of hormone related substance that has
beneficial effects on the brain.

I'm not presenting any authoritative or complete information here--I'm
merely reminding our readers not to forget our brains and alert them to
cool ideas.

You can find more information on these subjects through a search on
google and medscape.  One related subject is "smart drugs."

Have researching!

Ming