EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Tanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:27:07 -0500
        <I would be interested to know how many members are former dieters
or Zoners who have found that they have lost lean body mass and now have a
lower resting metabolic rate (and thus are prone now to regain weight
rapidly).>

        Hi Art,
                I am a former 'zoner' but never lost lean mass. When I
rebounded from 11% body fat back to 19%, I'm finding it nearly impossible to
shed the extra fat.

                I found the zone plan to be effective but to caloric
restrictive and abandon it at about a year.

                I'm now following Clarence Bass' three prong approach to
leanness: (aerobics, weight training & proper diet)

http://www.cbass.com/
http://www.cbass.com/Anti-Aging.htm
http://www.cbass.com/challeng.htm

        The following diet by LII pretty well sums up the Bass diet plan
also:

 Some carbohydrates have an average of 35 percent protein and about 5
percent fat - the precise ratio needed by the body to manufacture hormones
and keep neuroendocrine function in excellent working order. If your desire
is to have more energy, lose excess bodyfat and feel satisfied in-between
meals for hours then you should eat LIBERALLY from this food group that have
this perfect balance.

   It's OK to eat fish, chicken and turkey as long as you consume adequate
amounts(50 percent of the daily food intake) of these types of foods:

Fruits: apples, grapes and grapefruit.

Vegetables: spinach, broccoli, kale, turnip greens, cauliflower, cabbage,
zucchini, cucumbers, artichokes, celery, tomatoes, beets, watercress, dark
green lettuce, Brussels sprouts, mung bean sprouts, mushrooms, parsley,
green beans, green peppers, eggplant, onions and dandelion greens.

These type of foods provide us with an abundance of antioxidants and
alkaline-producing and easy-to-digest proteins that maintain a healthy
insulin/glucagon ratio. They will arrest the 'alarm reaction' and stop the
cravings; plus there is NO RESTRICTION on the amount or portion size. No
matter how much of these foods you eat, you will not gain weight or disturb
the equilibrium of your body.

    Although fat has no effect on insulin, the wrong kind of fat can lead to
an excess of dietary cholesterol and contributes to the many age-related
disorders that afflict many Americans today. In contrast, plant-based
proteins, contain no cholesterol. Instead they contain polyunsaturated and
monounsaturated fats which maintain the pH balance and the insulin/glucagon
ratio. Too much animal protein makes you acidic and elevates (the bad kind)
LDL cholesterol. Most people find they have the most energy when they limit
their intake of this type protein-fat.

    Try getting most of your protein-fats(10-20 percent of total dietary
intake) from these types of foods:

    Tuna, salmon, trout, haddock, mackerel, codfish and LEAN MEATS.
    pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, olives, sunflower seeds, soybeans,
macadamia nuts and avocados. Frankly, I don't see why she labels nuts as
funky foods(in contrast to cheese, which has the same amount of
carbohydrate/protein ratio but the UNHEALTHY FAT).

    Try getting about 30 percent of your daily food intake from these types
of carb/protein foods:

    Millet, cracked rye berries/wheat berries, whole grain rye/wheat bread,
yams, lentils, split peas, Great Northern beans, steel-cut oats, whole rye
flakes, wheat germ, sprouted grain bread, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, chick
peas/garbanzo beans and ALL legumes.

    One of my favorite breakfasts include organic, stone ground, whole wheat
pancakes(mix by Hodgson Mill) with lite(fructose sweetened) syrup and
organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses(hey, if you're going to use sugar,
this is the one: one Tbsp contains 170mg Potassium, 8% calcium, 10% vitamin
B6, 20% iron and 8% magnesium)