EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:54:22 -0400
Arthur De Vany wrote:

> I use Glutathione Health Packs from Health Maintenance Products.
> These are available by mail.  Go to www.hmpscience.com to order
> or learn of the products.

 Very interesting. The most important of all antioxidants, and I was
never really aware of it before (glutathione, that is). I did some web
searching and found out that there have been very good experimental
results intravenously, but it is not well absorbed orally and the
supplements are rather expensive. So, unless you have a high supplement
budget, in which case it is probably great, another approach is to
maximize your body's production of it. Mercola recommends glutamine and
N-acetyl cysteine (if you don't have amalgam fillings), two precursors
to glutathione, as well as alpha lipoic acid. Some more web searching
and guess what has a lot of glutamine, alpha lipoic acid, and even
conjugated linoleic acid? Pasture fed beef! Also, there is some concern
that high levels of supplemental glutamine could interfere with growth
hormone and ph balance. I wonder if all the body builders who use the
stuff are aware of that, or of the fact that it is truly abundant in a
variety of foods. So maybe the answer is just to eat a lot of good beef.
 Does anyone know if the meat from organic dairy cows would have a good
fatty acid profile? I suppose I should ask the farmer how much grain he
feeds them...

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT