EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:59:24 -0500
On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:59:13 -0500, Keith Thomas
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There is much more in McKie’s book to fascinate and inform.  For me the
>underlying message is that our modern pre-occupations with weight loss and
>body sculpting trivialize the most wonderful story in the world.  We can
>get far more out of this story than a reduction in cellulite.  Our
>challenge is to apply evolutionary theory to the scientific evidence and so
>map out the essential features of paleo life.  We can then decide whether
>our 21st century, Western prejudices, predilections and constraints rule
>out for us certain features of the full paleo repertoire and how we apply
>to our lives those features that we do not rule out.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you check out Daniel Quinn's books
(http://www.ishmael.org/Origins/) and his suggested reading list
(http://www.ishmael.org/Education/Readings/) particularly The Continuum
Concept by Jean Liedloff, Limited Wants, Unlimited Means by John Gowdy,
Stone Age Economics by Marshall Sahlins, and Man's Rise to Civilization by
Peter Farb.

Happy reading,

Brad