EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:26:28 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

> All of these are Paleo in that they are:
>
> ** intense
>
> ** free-form (i.e., not 'industrial' as gym machines are)
>
> ** done at irregular times on irregular days, certainly not to a routine
>
> ** pursued to exhaustion in terms of reps
>
> ** carried out in a natural way, with maximum feel for flow, rhythm
> and fun and with no regard for
> what others might think or for notions of 'correct form'

1) Intensity.  Agreed, this is a vital aspect of paleo exercise.  At least for men.

2) Free form.  I respectfully disagree.  Properly built machines that stress the *function* of our musculature are far superior to "free-form" exercise.  True, paleo man did not have a Nautilus or Cybex machine as his disposal, but I do believe it's possible for man to improve upon nature.  The dumbell curl is the perfect example.  It's closer to lifting a deer carcass than a curl machine might be, but the properly built machine still works that muscle more efficiently.  You use that bow and arrow to kill your prey; I'll use a gun.

3) Irregularity.  Agreed.  I work out every three or four days.

4) To exhaustion.  Agreed.

5) Fun.  Properly performed exercise ain't fun.  Any more than carrying buffalo meat back to camp was fun.