EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:21:25 -0500
I see it as an inverse approach leading to a power law distribution.  I know
professor devany has expressed a preferance for the heirarical sets due to
"finishing on a note of sucsess".  An interesting phenomenon in the
heirarical sets is that fast twitch fibers due not activate under submaximal
load, but they also do not function well in a low pH environment.  Lowered
ph is exactly what happens when the lighter weight is used.  so one is
potentially increasing the ability to maximize power output while under less
than ideal conditions.  the decending or strip sets allows one to use near
maximal weight on the first set utilizing the FT fibers optimally.  As the
FT bibers fatigue one drops the weight and performs more reps and this can
be carried on for 2-3 down sets.  As gH release is related to lactate
build up ( decreased pH) the strip set allows me to get a much more severe
burn.  I think your suggestion to alternate the two methods has much merit.
 Pavel has a program called the "Bear" in which one lifts a fairly heavy
weight for about five reps and rests about 30 seconds before performing
another set.  This has been a very productive program for me.  Thanks for
the great discussion.
robb