EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Arthur De Vany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:41:15 -0800
Clarence Bass has now posted a brief article about Evolutionary Fitness at cbass.com.

This quarter I am busy with new classes.  Next quarter I teach a health course and will finish the book while I do that.

On the importance of FT fiber, I add this somewhat questionable (because it may seem boastful) example.  While in Utah a few weeks ago, I played golf with a two guys close to my age (63).  On the fifth hole, a 374 yard par four, I drove the green.  I have also driven the shorter par fours (305 and 288) when the course is not busy (people hate it when you drive the green while they are still on it, which I have done when the green is not fully visible).  Asked how I did it, I told them you have to keep your FT fibers to generate club head speed.  This was less familiar to them than nuclear physics.  My coach, a long drive champion, trains like a traditional body builder.  He retains some FT mass, but trains the muscle to be slower and less explosive than does Power Law training.

Thanks Ming for the note on the book, though I doubt I shall read it.  I have about 4000 references in my bibliography file.  What is needed beyond citing abstracts, which is the way much of the world does diet and fitness books, is a theory, as Ming notes.

Arthur De Vany
Professor
Economics and Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
University of California
Irvine, CA 92697-5100
949-824-5269
http://aris.ss.uci.edu/econ/personnel/devany/devany.html