EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:49:15 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Almost daily we come across examples of technological innovations or fixes for 21st century
problems having unintended and deleterious effects.

Think if Vioxx and Celebrex which would be less needed if people exercised our way and avoided
neolithic foods; last week it was the strongest evidence yet that mobile phones (known as cell
phones in some countries) cause DNA damage

The mobile phone story is at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4113989.stm.

Here is another which I am posting because the effects are long-term and on children before they
are born.  It illustrates my point that true evolutionary fitness is about a Paleo environment/world,
not just a Paleo diet and exercise for an individual paleo body.

Full story on the BBC site today::
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/health/4115617.stm
__________________________

Exposure to cleaning products while in the womb could be linked to persistent wheezing in young
children, University of Bristol research suggests.

 Experts looked at families' use of a range of products such as bleach, paint stripper and carpet
cleaners.

 Children born into the 10% of families which used these products the most were twice as likely to
suffer from wheezing as those who used the least.

 The study of 14,000 children from birth is published in the journal Thorax.

 The researchers said, while their study suggested a link between prenatal exposure and
wheezing, exposure after birth could also be a factor.

 Further research is under way to look for physiological changes in the children's lungs which
would indicate the effect had occurred while they were in the womb.

 Wheezing can be a sign a child will go on to develop asthma.

 The study, which is part of the University of Bristol's Children of the 90s research, involved 7,019
families.