EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edith McKlveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:07:05 -0500
When I signed on to this list, it was to get information on being fit that
wasn't the same old same old.  And wow, have I benefitted.

I've been on the list long enough to learn a lot, including the fact that I
am hip-deep in a lot of misconceptions about diet and exercise and what it
means to be athletic.

I suppose, since I am definitely not an athlete (though I love physical
activity), and since my childhood years were marked by a fair amount of
ridicule from those who were definitely athletic, I have tended over the
years to buy into many stereotypes about athletes, since they gave me a
sense of superiority to prop up my shaky sense of self-confidence.

I've come to the conclusion that my comments about some posts on this list
have been directly from th
at place in me that still doesn't trust the world
of athletics and athletes.

This is one reason I dislike the concept of allowing one's inner child free
expression.  Mine is extremely crabby and skeptical, and I would like to
apologize for her and say thank you for the information and encouragement
that I have received from this list.

That said, I don't think I am at a place in my life to keep pace with the
general type of discussion that this list focuses on.  I am pretty much
light years from joining a gym and lifting weights and devoting a fair
amount of my life to fine-tuning a buff physique.  Heck, this is the first
weekend in three years that I've actually had enough energy to do more than
wake up, eat breakfast, and take a nap until lunch.

The amount of stuff I've gotten done today has been amazing.  It used to be
par for the course on the weekends.  To feel and act almost normal again is

amazing.  But getting my act together to climb to higher levels of activity
is something I can't get my head around yet.

I have found a list that is more general in its focus on living by
Paleolithic principles.  I think will be very useful while I'm still
crawling around on the ground floor, so to speak.  So, I'm going to sign
off here.  I wish all of you good hunting (and gathering).

Edith