EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:05:45 -0400
>I think the thing that I found hardest to understand in the
>Hardgainer booklet was the outrage that the
>bodybuilding/weightlifting industry would woo the "average"
>person with false promises.  And the outrage that anybody
>would buy into the fantasy of being able to develop huge
>muscles with just a supplement or two.

What's your criticism?  It seems that you agree with his observations
and fault him for not seeing the obvious sooner.  If his observations
are accurate, then large numbers of people are still duped with false
promises.  How obvious is the obvious?  Obviously, his marketing targets
those who still buy the program.  Duh.

>The guy just woke up and realized what has been going on for
>years?  Duh.

Stuart McRoberts realized one day after many years of training that what
he--and many other people--were doing was not as good as what they could
be doing.  Then he realized he could sell his observations to other
people.  Some of them might even find value in his thoughts.

When did you wake up and realize you weren't eating and exercising as
well as you could, or that a lot of companies were helping you in the
wrong direction?

What's your complaint exactly, stated without a tone of derision or
ontological chauvinism?

Though his books haven't helped me gain mass, I have purchased and
enjoyed both his wordy book and picture book.  The latter is one of the
best books I've seen for learning proper technique with the free
weights.  I'm a bit disappointed in the former book for not helping me
gain mass, but to be objective, I have to say that is earnest and
well-argued.  How good the book is depends on ultimately on how well it
works for you.  Unfortunately, the book is not distributed in the
American bookstores so you can't skim before buying it.

-M