EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edith McKlveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:46:55 -0500
Today, it's four weeks.  According to the scale, which is old and only semi-
reliable, I've now lost six pounds.  Yowee.

(You will, I hope, excuse my using this forum as a way of tracking my
progess into the realm of paleo.  I would like to have a record to look
back on, and I would simply lose any pieces of paper I made notes on.)

I have noticed that I smell better.  Er, I mean, my nose is working
better.  For I don't know how long, I haven't been able to smell things
well unless I got my nose right next to them.

And I'm sleeping much better.  Despite having to sleep on the couch because
the landlord is repairing the bedroom wall.  Despite a killer heatwave.

This seems amazing to me because simple changes have so positively affected
various areas of my life.  At the beginning of last year, I joined Weight
Watchers with the goal of losing forty pounds.  Good grief, how complicated
that was, and how negatively it affected me.

I kept hearing, through nine months of pep talks, how no foods are
forbidden, but the general attitude was: "You have to watch food very
carefully.  It may not be your enemy, but it's not your friend.  And if you
give in to this substance, you're not a bad person, but we're going to
patronize you and make you feel really guilty."

Their latest program involves assigning points to foods and giving each
program participant a total number of points that they can "eat" based on
their weight.  As one's weight goes down, so does the total number of
points!  And one is encouraged to keep a journal of each single point.
It's a very expensive, paranoid way to deal with one of the essential
aspects of life.

Up to a "point," I was able to keep within my limit, but after a while, I
found I couldn't eat less than the number of points I was originally
assigned.  At the end of nine months and three hundred dollars or so, I had
only lost sixteen pounds, and I felt like a failure.  Yech.

It is so amazing to be able to eat a lot and feel satisfied and be able to
enjoy food, and not have to think much beyond that, which is the way it's
supposed to be!!!

Question: does anyone know where I can get a bathroom scale that is
durable, accurate, inexpensive, and has large numbers?

Question: what is the paleo response to the claim I've heard for a number
of years--that if one eats "too much" protein, it disturbs the chemical
balance of the blood, and the body has to take calcium from bones in order
to restore that balance?

Well, thanks for allowing me my ramble.   Mmm, I could use another omelet
right about now . . .

Edith