ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:42:56 -0600
I have been asking the Lord some questions about what we sometimes call
living by faith.  This generally meant to me, as I grew up in church, that a
missionary or a preacher who traveled, made his money by the offerings taken
for them.  I am not sure that it meant that at all but it was what I was
taught.  So, money has always been, as they say in Britain, a bug up my
nose.  So, as I said, in recent weeks, I have been asking God some pretty
big theological questions.  Well, big for me, little for Him. So, one day,
the Lord gives me what I believe to be part of the answer but I won't go
into all that now.  I want to tell you how He simplified  what I learned
several days ago by what He told me today.  I won't go into the details of
my train of thought because it isn't really relevant, other than to me, but
I got to thinking about a father taking his little girl to the dentist.
This is likely because of my recent painful, and expensive, dental
experience.  Anyhow, like I said, there is no reason to tell you how I came
to this thought because it wouldn't make sense anyhow.  So, I'm standing in
the kitchen, getting ready to go to a family doctor's appointment I had this
morning for some blood tests, and as I was blowing my nose with a tissue I
pulled from the box on top of the microwave, no fooling, I was thinking
about a father taking his little daughter to the dentist.  The basic picture
I was sort of seeing in my mind was that the family were strong believers in
living by faith.  By that I mean, they rarely ever went to the doctor for
anything; they just prayed and trusted God for a miracle.  The little girl,
however, had a problem that wasn't going away.  The father and his family
had no insurance of any kind but he knew he had to take his little daughter
to the dentist.  He called and made an appointment.  As he was taking his
daughter in the car, the little girl was crying from the pain and fear.  Her
father tried comforting her by telling her it would be all right.  The
little girl said, "But Daddy, I know we don't have any extra money for
this."  Her father said, "Honey, that isn't your department.  That's my
problem.  I don't want you worrying about something that isn't your
problem."  then it hit me what God had been trying to tell me about trusting
Him for finances.  The Lord showed me in an instant of time that I was His
little child.  I was worrying and working at things that weren't my
responsibility but His.  All I just described took maybe four seconds but
all I described I saw and heard in that short period of time.  I need to
remember to remain as a little child because He is the big Father.  Besides,
He's got no problems coming up with what His children need.  Now,
theologically, and Biblically, I already knew this.  This morning, however,
the Lord spoke His truth into my spirit and I understood it for the first
time in my life.

Phil.