ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:10:44 -0500
Kathy,

I think that is a valid point. Although we did not live in the times of our
generation gap, that is to say, we weren't in the thick of it when our
parents were going through things or know how much verbalizing was done, I
do think the old timers grinned and bore it much better than we do these
days. As for Viet Nam vs WW's or any other war, I think there were other
circumstances that allowed for the attention it got, the un support for the
war that was going on and etc. It would be like today, if our soldiers were
coming back from Iraq and people were spitting at them as they came down
the gang plank. Although situations are certainly not the same, the point
or view from the soldiers is, they are doing as they are told as trained to
honor their government and yet dishonored by the people who opposed the
war. As well I think this paved the way for  exonerating the tragedies
which occurred there. The vets of all our war activities have tales of
horror to tell, yet the old timers remain silent while the modern wars
soldiers make them known and as you say risk being stuck in that mode. I
don't think it is even as simple as I stated here as neither of us were in
the heat of the battle, literally, but I tend to agree with the toughness
of the old timers as opposed to the folks of today. We can see this in
everything from counseling to medicines to labels of conditions which have
seem to crop up in the past 30 years. Was there A. D. D kids way back when?
I'm sure there were. Were they medicated? No. Did they make it yes. How
many today might do well without meds if not coddled but were forced to
step up to the plate and swing at what is pitched to them in life? I'm not
saying there is no use for meds in cases, I'm saying as a society we tend
to opt for the easy fix, convenience, microwave living instead of sticking
it out a bit and letting nature and God work in our lives. We have stronger
strains of illnesses because the bacteria have become stronger against the
over used meds. Every time a kid gets sick we run them to a doctor, get
pills and they are better, until you get like my brother who was virtually
non responsive to penicillin, Or like my wife who has become allergic to
the main stream meds and now pays dearly for proper meds to work when she
actually needs them. It is a mind set which has evolved after those who
lived after the depression perhaps. Some have been traditionally taught
those ideals and then the 60's probably  took its toll on those ideals.
Well now that I'm done philosifying lol

Brad

Kathy Du Bois wrote:
>Hey Brad, don't you think that part of the lack of communication is a
>generational thing though?  I mean, let's face it, I think that we baby
>boomers are probably the first generation to really feel a need, or a
>right, to spill our guts and agonize over things rather than grit our
>teeth and do what we were asked no matter how we feel.
>         You know, my dad was in World War II, and I know that he saw, and
>experienced, a lot, but he never talks about it.  He just came on home
>and started up a family and got on with his life.  I contrast that to the
>baby boomers who went to Vietnam and feel a need to justify all their
>behavior, upon coming home, as if they deserved a pass because of what
>they went through.  My dad's generation went through stuff too, but they
>didn't talk about it.  They just moved on.  We ruminate upon what we've
>gone through and take the risk of getting stuck in it.  Then, we get
>frustrated that our parents' generation aren't very good communicators,
>but they were doers and I'm not sure that a lot of our generation can say
>the same.  We want our parents to talk more.  They want us to do more.  I
>think that that definitely adds to the mix at least.  Maybe that isn't
>quite the case in your situation since you admit that you may hold back
>from sharing, but that might not be all bad either.  I know that I don't
>share a lot of what I go through with my parents because, as parents, I
>know that they'd probably be frustrated that they can't help.  I know I
>would be frustrated if I couldn't help my kids and I know that that is
>already happening more and more in our family as my kids get older.
>Anyway, maybe all of this is more normal than we realize.
>Kathy

>The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
>Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Brad

   There is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear-view mirror