ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vinny Samarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 2009 09:59:05 -0700
From: "RJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:07 AM
Subject: [CCNV] Home: No place for Bible study

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=98895
FAITH UNDER FIRE
Home: No place for Bible study
County demands pastor obtain $10,000 permit to host friends

5:13 pm Eastern
By Drew Zahn
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A  San Diego pastor and his wife claim they were interrogated by a county
official and warned they will face escalating fines if they continue to hold
Bible studies in their home.

The couple, whose names are being withheld until a demand letter can be
filed on their behalf, told their attorney a county government employee
knocked on their door on Good Friday, asking a litany of questions about
their Tuesday night Bible studies, which are attended by approximately 15
people.
"Do you have a regular weekly meeting in your home? Do you sing? Do you say
'amen'?" the official reportedly asked. "Do you say, 'Praise the Lord'?"
The pastor's wife answered yes.
She says she was then told, however, that she must stop holding "religious
assemblies" until she and her husband obtain a Major Use Permit from the
county, a permit that often involves traffic and environmental studies,
compliance with parking and sidewalk regulations and costs that top tens of
thousands of dollars.
And if they fail to pay for the MUP, the county official reportedly warned,
the couple will be charged escalating fines beginning at $100, then $200,
$500, $1000, "and then it will get ugly."
Remind the world who's really in charge with the "Worship GOD, not GOV"
magnetic bumper sticker from WND.
Dean Broyles of the Western Center for Law & Policy, which has been retained
to represent the couple, told WND the county's action not only violates
religious land-use laws but also assaults both the First Amendment's freedom
of assembly and freedom of religion.
"The First Amendment, in part, reads, 'Congress shall make no law respecting
an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,'"
Broyles said. "And that's the key part: 'prohibiting the free exercise.' We
believe this is a substantial government burden on the free exercise of
religion."
He continued, "If one's home is one's castle, certainly you would the think
the free exercise of religion, of all places, could occur in the home."
Broyles confirmed the county official followed through on his threat. The
pastor and his wife received a written warning ordering the couple to
"cease/stop religious assembly on parcel or obtain a major use permit."
"The Western Center for Law and Policy is troubled by this draconian move to
suppress home Bible studies," said the law center in a statement. "If the
current trends in our nation continue, churches may be forced underground.
If that happens, believers will once again be forced to meet in homes. If
homes are already closed by the government to assembly and worship, where
then will Christians meet?"
On a personal note, Broyles added, "I've been leading Bible studies in my
home for 13 years in San Diego County, and I personally believe that home
fellowship Bible studies are the past and future of the church. … If you
look at China, the church grew from home Bible studies. I'm deeply concerned
that if in the U.S. we are not able to meet in our homes and freely practice
our religion, then we may be worse off than China."
Broyles also explained to WND that oppressive governments, such as communist
China or Nazi Germany, worked to repress home fellowships, labeling them the
"underground church" or "subversive groups," legally compelling Christians
to meet only in sanctioned, government-controlled "official" churches.
"Therein lies my concern," Broyles said. "If people can't practice their
religious beliefs in the privacy of their own homes with a few of their
friends, that's an egregious First Amendment violation."
WND contacted a spokeswoman for San Diego County, who acknowledged the
description of the incident seemed "bizarre," but who was unable to locate
the details of the account. She simply could not provide comment yet, she
said, until she could become familiar with the case.
Broyles said the WCLP is nearly ready to file a demand letter with the
county to release the pastor and his wife from the requirement to obtain the
expensive permit. If the county refuses, Broyles said, the WCLP will
consider a lawsuit in federal court.
Broyles also told WND the pastor and his wife are continuing to hold the
Bible study in their home.
Rick Johnson
http://paul-reveres-riders.ning.com/
"Armis Exposcere Pacem"