ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:35:50 -0500
Kathy,

I bet Mat will do fine. My daughter was one who made a hobby out of
homework. I had serious doubts concerning her balancing out work, homework,
contributing towards household responsibilities, a social life and class
time and not to loose her bible time and focus on what is important. She
surprised the socks off me and did it with money to spare and a 4.0 GPA.
She really does have it all together, the little rat lol. I'm sure you will
be just as surprised with Mat. With conscientious parents as he has, he has
been brought up right and will rely on what is right. The attitude of "I
paid my dues" as far as servant hood bothers you and I alike, but just
think of what it says to God? To me, if I were god, would make me feel
used. They only helped to make themselves feel useful, to feel good about
themselves, and not because I had a need for them on Earth. There are so
many  needs, they could certainly move laterally and leave that room for
the younger generation to do their current work, and train them in, if
not... who will do it when they pass on? I quit doing some of the music
tear down after church, partly because with practices and pre-service
times, I was doing a fair bit, but more so because I thought, if I do not
step back, others who may be willing and want to help will not because the
need is lessened. If I stopped, there would be a need and someone would
have to step up to the plate. We have a family, bless their hearts who do
several things in the church, but are so afraid to let go cause they feel
no one will take up the slack. I pointed out unless they do slack, no one
will step in. These folks were in burn out mode and only graced with the
ability to continue even now and really ought find balance. I've been down
that road some, and learned my limits to be effective as I can be. Over
taxing your people will make for resentments and a sense of owing, but many
hands makes a light load and happy faces too. It is difficult to solicit
the many hands often times though I know.

Brad

Kathy Du Bois wrote:
>Well Brad, I agree with you there.  Just today, Greg purchased two
>airplane tickets for Grand Rapids Michigan .  One ticket is a round trip
>ticket to bring Greg back to Maine, but the other one is a one way ticket
>to drop Matt off and cut him loose to begin a new life at college.  He
>already knows that we cannot helpe him financially after getting him out
>there and your words about your daughter were very encouraging right now
>because I'm feeling like we really march to the beat of a different
>drummer.  I hope that Matt ends up as balanced as your daughter.
>         I agree with you too about the old generation idealizing having
>the easy life too much.  It has crippled our generation and now, I also
>see it crippling the church.  So many of our elderly, when asked to help
>say, "I've done my time.  It's time for the younger people to take over."
>  You never retire from God's service until he calls you home for supper,
>but this, I have it easy as my due thing is really hard to fight.
>Kathy

>The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
>Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Brad

   It's not what you're going through, but how you're going through it