ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 07:52:24 -0500
Clay Balls

A man was exploring caves by the seashore.  In one of the caves he
found a canvas bag with a bunch of
hardened clay balls.  It was like someone had rolled clay balls and
left them in the sun to bake.

They didn't look like much, but they intrigued the man, so he took
the bag out of the cave with him.  As
he strolled along the beach, he would throw the clay balls, one at a
time, out into the ocean as far as he
could.

He thought little about it, until he dropped one of the clay balls
and it cracked open on a rock.  Inside was
a beautiful precious stone!

Excited, the man started breaking open the remaining clay
balls.  Each contained a similar treasure.  He
found thousands of dollars worth of jewels in the 20 or so clay balls
he had left.

Then it struck him.

He had been on the beach a long time.  He had thrown maybe 50 or 60
of the clay balls with their
hidden treasures into the ocean waves.  Instead of thousands of
dollars in treasure, he could have taken
home tens of thousands but he had just thrown it away!

It's like that with people.  We look at someone, maybe even
ourselves, and we see the external clay
vessel.  It doesn't always look like much from the outside.  It isn't
always beautiful or sparkling, so we
discount it.

Sometimes we see that person as less important than someone more
beautiful or stylish or well known
or wealthy but we have not taken the time to find the hidden treasure
inside that person.

There is a treasure in each and every one of us.  If we take the time
to get to know that person,and if
we ask God to show us that person the way He sees them, then the clay
begins to peel away and the
brilliant gem begins to shine forth.

May we not come to the end of our lives and find out that we have
thrown away a friendship because
the gems were hidden in bits of clay.  May we see people in our world
as God sees them.  I am so
blessed by the gems of friendship I have with each of you.

Thank you for looking beyond my clay vessel.

Pass this on to other clay balls!! :-)