ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ned Benton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:18:07 -0500
Kathy,
I under what you are saying about you situation of blindness and wanting
sight.  In 1970, while I was pastoring the Cleveland Avenue Christian CHurch
in southeast Atlanta, I had a cornea transplant. I had been praying for some
time asking the Lord to give me sight that I might serve Him better. There
were many other Christians in many states that were praying with me.  I was,
at that time, a member of a christian network on Amateur radio and met with
many preachers and other christians each morning on the radio. The time
came, I received the call and rushed to the hospital.  They had acquired a
cornea and were ready to do the surgery.  I p[rayed so hard for sight but I
told the Lord that I realized that I didn't know the future and I knew He
did.  I told Him that if I could be a better servant without sight then
please don't give it to me. Everything went extremely well and I was, after
the surgery, able to see far more light and color than before and to see it
from a much greater distance.  Later, maybe more than a year later, while
lifting weights with a friend of mine three times a week, I hemorhaged in
the left eye and subsequently lost all my potential vision.  I was told by
my doctor that when the eye hemorhaged, it started to degenerate and the
optic nerve had died. So, I took it that I could serve Him better without
sight.  I know of many times when people have been blessed by people with
handicapps or disabilities.  I remember, too, that the apostle Paul said
that God told him when he ask for the removal of his "thorn in the flesh"
"My strength is made known in your weakness.  I believe that people see
those who have some limitation or disability gladly serving God and giving
Him the glory for all they are and have and they are encouraged.
God can certainly use you and any of us with our blindness to be a real
blessing and encouragement to many.

Ned