ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 13:43:02 -0600
Vicki,

The MacMini is a desktop computer.  I run it on wifi but it can connect
direct to the comcast cable, too.  The MacMini has larger hard drive storage
capabilities that a mac air, and the MacMini has a number of additional
ports.  In short, the Macmini is for fixed usage at a desk and the mac air
is a netbook style portable laptop sort of thing.  The screen and keyboard
ar built in and it runs on wifi.  Mac hard drives are not the old hard
drives with which we are familiar.  They are fusion drives and there are no
moving parts.  All data is stored electronically.  That makes them many
times faster because a physical disk is not turning and magnetically
recording.  Mac also tracks your usage of everything so after awhile, it
will move some files and programs into a separate area because you access
fewer times.  A long movie, for example, may get moved into a holding area
so it isn't taking up so much space in the main work area.  Some macs are
both conventional hard drives and fusion drives and the less accessed files
are stored on the conventional hard drive while all the other stuff that is
accessed frequently, is stored in the fusion drive network.  The trackpad
does allow you to tap and delete and move and open and close programs, turn
pages by flicking your finger across the screen as it does on the iPhone, so
the trackpad just makes it a literal hands on access screen.  Lots of
various gestures available, too.  The MacMini can also use a full sized 104
or 105 keyboard.  I could have purchased a smaller keyboard that has no
number pad but I wanted the full sized mac keyboard made by Das which are
the click style keyboards Sandy and I have been using for years.  The
MacMini just allows for more versatility, plugging in two screen, for
multiple users with separate passwords, several ports, and with the 1
terabyte storage, can be used by other family members for backups and the
like.  I ended up buying the least expensive mac video screen, 79 dollars,
when the others are over 400 on up, so anyone using my computer could see
what they were doing.  Everett picked it out and was amazed how clear the
Apple 13 inch screen really is for that price.  I paid a freaking 70 dollars
for a wireless mouse for the same purpose but a blind person can, to some
degree use the mouse to get to places quickly.  The trackpad basically is a
hands on mouse like the iPhone features of tapping and flicking and drawing
alphabetic letters, the letter S, for example, to bring up files with the
letter S as a prefix.  iPhones can do that sort of gesturing, too.  The
trackpad is about 7 by 7 inches and I sit in the other room in my recliner,
with the volume turned up in the office area, and use the computer that way
occasionally, haha.  Both the macmini and the mac air allow the user to
answer and initiate phone calls and you can send and receive text messages
with them both as well in case you phone is hiding in the night stand drawer
where you left it, haha.

Phil.