ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Gilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 18:11:16 -0400
Ouch, that is all I can say.

-----Original Message-----
From: The Electronic Church [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Phil Scovell
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 2:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: One of my all time favorites

     One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just before
services were to begin. Although the old man and his clothes were
spotlessly clean, he wore jeans, a denim shirt, and boots that
were very worn and ragged.  In his hand he carried a worn out old
hat and an equally worn out bible. The church he entered was in a
very upscale and exclusive part of the city.  It was the largest
and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen.  The
people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive
clothes and accessories.
     As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No
one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled at
his appearance and did not attempt to hide it.
     The preacher gave a long sermon about Hellfire and brimstone
and a stern lecture on how much money the church needed to do
God's work.
     As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher
approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor.  "I surely
will, Preacher," the old cowboy replied pleasantly, "Ifen I ken."
     The well dressed preacher said, "Before you come back in here
again, have a talk with God and ask him what He thinks would be
appropriate attire for worship."
     The old cowboy assured the preacher he would do as he
requested.
     The next Sunday, he showed up for the services wearing the
same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, hat, and worn Bible.  Once again
he was completely shunned and ignored.
     The preacher approached the man and said, "I thought I asked
you to speak to God before you came back to our church."
     "I surely did do so, Preacher," replied the old cowboy.
     "Well, then," the preacher said indignantly, "if you spoke to
God, what did He tell you the proper attire should be for
worshiping in here?"
     The old cowboy smiled respectfully, shifting the tooth pick
to the left side of his mouth, and said slowly, "Well, sir, God
told me that He didn't have a clue what I should wear.  He says
He ain't never been in this church before."

It Sounds Like God To Me.
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com