ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:58:27 -0500
Hi, Rhonda,
I'm not sure I can explain what you don't understand, but will try.  My
remarks that some alcoholics will exchange their addiction to alcohol for
addiction to the 12-step program of A A, refer to some who absolutely need
that program and the other folks in it, in order to keep them from
drinking.  In other words, they become addicted to the program itself,
without which they will go back to drinking.
What you said about making decisions day after day, and one day at a time,
certainly does apply to keeping any addiction under control.  I suppose
they must affirm every day that they will not drink.  And my comments
certainly don't apply to everyone who goes into a 12-step program, only
some.  I happen to know a couple of folks who did exchange drinking for the
program, and then back again to the drinking.
I hope this clears up my comments on the subject, Rhonda.  If not, I'll be
glad to try further to help you.  Write to me offlist, if you like.
Helen