ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:05:21 -0600
Sharon,

He also talked about Great faith so when these words are used, it is easy to
get the opinion that faith comes in various levels and degrees of
effectiveness.  At the time of our Lord's ministry, the disciples were still
not believing in the true identity of Jesus as the Christ .  The faith they
had was small and great based upon what they were believing at the time.
What we believe now is a fixed measure, that is, the giving of the Holy
Spirit at the moment of salvation fixes faith as something unchangeable for
eternity.  I will have to think about this subject more before answering you
better but I have had a chest and head cold for a week and today it finally
is going away.  My sinuses were infected and I have been on antibiotics.  I
have a multiple-part series on this topic which I started, I think, posting
here on echurch a long time ago.  I'll look for those notes because the
theological concept of a fixed measured faith is one I have never heard
preached before and especially not by Charismatics and Pentecostals and I
already know what Baptists believe, hahaha.  I make a lot of Charismatic
Word and Faith Christians nervous just talking about it so I try and be
careful not to ruffle too many theological feathers.  Anyway, my series
builds upon basic passages of Scripture, some I used in the Object Of Your
Faith I just posted, but I go into much more explanation and Scriptural
detail.  Let me find those and read what I said about how I explain little
face, great faith, and once Jesus said they had no faith.  The basic answer
I gave in the illustration about the water hose and the nozzle screwed on
the end.  If the constant flow of water in the hose is viewed as fixed
faith, the nozzle on the end makes the faith, or water, coming out at
different levels, appear as if the water is different for each setting when
the truth is, it is all the same water.  The nozzle changes the pressure and
causes the water, or faith, to look different.  For example, if I told you I
heard the Lord say to me the other day, and He did, Satan Has A God Complex,
some might hear that and say, "Wow!  That guy hears God's voice.  He must be
a powerful Christian."  If I turned around and told a story of laying hands
on someone and they were blind but instantly received sight, that would
appear to be even greater faith.  It is not a different degree, or level, of
faith.  The gifts of the Holy Spirit, for example, all use the same faith
but the gift of miracles can make others think, "Boy, oh, boy.  That guy
really has power to believe.  His faith is strong."  Yet, it is the same
Holy Spirit that administers all the gifts equally to whomever He wishes.
One day, I was writing down some notes I was going to start teaching on one
Sunday concerning the gifts of the Spirit.  I was alone, no one was home,
and sitting in the living room and reading down a list of the gifts of the
Spirit.  When I came to the Gift of Faith, I stopped and said, "Lord, I
don't even understand this gift.  I don't have enough faith to pour water
out of a boot even if the instructions are written on the bottom of the
heel."  Before I tell you what He said to me concerning the gifts, I'll
confess that I have experienced a word of knowledge perhaps hundreds of
times in ministry in the last 27 years of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
I have, many times, experienced a word of wisdom as well.  I've experienced
the gift of miracles.  I constantly speak in three clearly discernable
tongues.  I have demonstrated this gift of tongues sitting in my living room
and some people on this very list have witness the three languages.  I did
this on purpose so they could hear the three different sounds.  It wasn't,
in other words, something that happened beyond my control as I prayed in
tongues.  One language sounds like Spanish, or Italian, one sounds like
French, and one sounds like a form of Chinese such as the Mandarin dialect
or Cantonese.  The Spanish/Italian sounding language happens almost
automatically when I begin to pray.  I have gotten the spiritual impression
over the years that it is more conversational than specific.  I have never
learned any French but based upon what I am praying about verbally, I
sometimes hear myself slipping into a distinct sounding French language
characteristic.  Again, over the years, I have felt the Lord telling me that
this level of language relates to specific targeted areas of intercessory
prayer.  I often drift back and forth from French sounding tones to the
Spanish sounding language as I pray out loud and without warning.  It seems
to depend upon the degree of spiritual intensity at any given moment.  The
Chinese sounding language occurs specifically when related to demonic
oppression.  I may be praying for a person I don't even know but is under
some sort of demonic attack and I am told to pray, using this Chinese
sounding language, by the Holy Spirit, when addressing this type of an
issue.  I have a nephew and his family who work in a former Russian country
that uses Chinese as one of their languages.  Oddly enough, many times, when
I am praying for my nephew and his missionary ministry in this country, the
Chinese language sounds come to my voice.  I have also spoken with people
who could speak fluently some of these languages and they have been able to
tell me what I was saying.  These are the three main languages I have
noticed when I pray and use on a regular bases.  I have heard many others
which sound Russian, German, Egyptian, and many more but I am convinced it
is related to intercessory prayer.  In this case specifically, I am not
using more, or less, faith but all three languages occur equally the same
without effort or stress on my part.  Now, with this in mind, return to what
I said to the Lord about the gift of faith and being ignorant of how such a
gift could even work, the Lord spoke to me as I looked at a list of the
gifts and I said, "Lord, which of these gifts do I really have?"  He said,
"The gift of faith."  I said, "No, I don't.  I don't even know what it is
all about and how the gift of faith differs with the gift of miracles, for
example."  Jesus said, "That is the gift I have given you."  I was
dumbfounded because if this was so, I didn't know how it even worked.  He
told me by showing places where I had used the faith He has given me for
certain things to happen.  Still not convinced, I said, "How do we make this
type of faith work?"  He said, "This faith is mine and mine alone so you
only need to refer a situation or circumstances for which you are praying to
me, and my faith causes it to happen."  Wow, I said.  That's easy to do.
Jesus said, "Yep.  Your are right."  So, I have probably confused you even
more by now.

Phil.