ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:26:51 -0800
We tend I think to over simplify things.  If we used the disciplinary
tactics they use in the Moslem world we wouldn't have any criminals.  When a
thief is caught his hands are cut off.  An investigation is done, and if he
steals food or something with which to sustain his family his punishment is
remitted.  If, for example he goes in to a restaurant and eats the most
expensive thing on the menu and doesn't pay, this is treated differently
than if he ordered the least expensive item.  Of course, if we treated crime
more seriously in this country in general we would have fewer criminals.
But our society isn't structured to allow for such seriousness.  I doubt we
would accept biblical punishments either such as killing adulteresses and
the ostracizing of certain people.  Where would the cities of refuge be?
Would other people be allowed to live in them Etc.  No, I don't think in
this society many of the punishments would apply.