ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:49:40 -0500
Hi Guys,
        Well, there isn't much to tell really, but I thought that I'd pass
along the latest as a sad commentary on the educational and probation
systems for our youth of today.
        The school still regards us as Chris's legal guardians even though
he has moved out and is now living on his own.  This means that they
continue to send us letters informing us of Chris's latest
antics.  Well, yesterday Chris served his third in house
suspension.  This means that he couldn't attend class, but he had to
sit in some holding room, under supervision I suppose, and do his
work.  They included, along with this notice, a copy of their
suspension policy and a copy of the notice that Chris signed,
admitting to the offence of being tardy for one class more than ten
times.  We're so proud.  He signed it Mickey mouse."  It states in
their policy that after the second suspension the parents are
supposed to be called in for a conference.  We were never called for
anything so Greg called to talk to the principal to find out if a
meeting were being planned or something and the principal said
basicly, "oh no!  Chris is one of the better kids.  We don't bother
with that sort of thing unless the student is causing real trouble!"
          We also called the probation officer to tell her about the latest
and to ask her if she wanted us to continue to keep her
informed.  She thanked us for the information and said that she would
like to continue to be informed, but she also said that she probably
wouldn't bother to do anything with the information.  She also
reminded us that, as of January 11, she's done with him.  What is the
point of setting up  expectations in a probation if they mean
nothing?  Since chris hasn't killed anybody, I guess that he'll just
be allowed to go off into the sunset; continuing to do his stupid,
disrespectful stuff until it bites him, if it bites him in this crazy
society at all.
         This is why most kids today don't take the rule of law
seriously.  Neither the school, nor the courts really mean what they
say  and the kids know it.
Kathy