ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:00:45 -0500
A thought while reading this morning in James. I love that book *smile*.

"James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve
tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings. Consider it all joy, my
brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of
your faith produces endurance." --James 1:1-3

I've read this many times, sometimes while in the midst of difficulty and
sometimes just to remind me of how ought react when I do run across
difficult times. I've noticed before that this scripture says to consider
trials as joy because we are then strengthened by those trials, I noticed
today what this  scripture doesn't say however. There are two things it
doesn't say, one I noticed before but I'll jot it down anyway, and the
other aspect will follow.

It mentions that "when" we encounter trials, not "if" we encounter trials.
Perhaps this seems like a gloomy thought, that we will definitely
encounter things in life we will suffer and struggle through, and we will
not escape rough times, but I am somewhat of a mixture between and
optimist and a realist. A realist when things are rolling along fine, and
an optimist when it is time to batten down the hatches as the storm
approaches and the winds begin. It would be nice if we, being God's kids,
were protected from the affects of the world here, but the point is "bad
things happen to good people". Friends and relatives pass on, some knowing
Christ, and some not. People steal from us, damage our property, our
feelings, our will, our relationships. We even drag ourselves through mud
if we have a mind to. Fact is, we will experience struggles just like the
scripture says when it says "when" you do, not "if" you do. That is a very
wise thing to know that a preparation of mind set and faith can keep us
protected in faith that we do not begin to doubt or waiver.

The second thing I noticed today when reading which is a continuation of
the thought of not wavering, was that it said that trials are the
"testing' of your faith brings endurance, and not the "killing" of your
faith. How many times have we seen in life, folks we know who seem to be
believers yet when  a close relative dies or something bad happens, they
walk away from faith. What separates us from them? Without entering
judgement, I can only consider my own faith and consider, pray, and ask
God that what I have is a genuine faith, given and strengthened by God,
when such times counter attack it. If it indeed is faith of and in God, I
indeed can consider trials as joy because I know that what ever happens in
this life, I am in the care of God, that the "killing" of my faith or
relationship is not an option, and according to God's word, this
scripture, enduring such trials will only make me stronger. So then with
the knowledge that trials bring strength to our faith, ought we then look
to enter trials purposefully? No, just as we are forgiven for sin, we
ought not purposefully enter sin. We then would be testing God. Just as
the Scripture continues to talk about wisdom, and if you do not have it,
ask for it and he'll give it to you. Wisdom keeps us from entering such
purposefully or ignorantly.

So next we find ourselves in the midst of a trial, a rough time in life,
it will indeed strengthen us if we do in fact consider it a joyful
strengthening of our faith with the full knowledge that God is with us and
will see us through it. Albeit might not be as we expect in every or any
situation but nonetheless we will come out smiling joyful with God's hand
on our life. How much more pleasantly and less stressfully can we endure
trials if we consider it a joyful thing  even in the midst of it, rather
than not. It never said it would be easy, but God knows we are built to
have need to look towards a safe haven in the future of a situation, or
feel hopeless, therefore inspired such scripture and indeed the entire
gospel message of hope for us beyond this physical life.

Brad