ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:51:26 -0500
Kathy,

Reading your posts regarding the people there, it  leaves me scratching my
head as to why would any one wish to attack the person who is meant to be a
spiritual leader, guide, and comfort in their life. Perhaps it is as you
said, convicting sermons not well received and so they seek to establish a
pecking order. Perhaps it is jealousy because the pastor is building a new
house, and all the scuttlebutt, misconceptions and stereotypes that go
about the gossiping lips of those to chicken to find out what work actually
takes to serve in the church. Who do these people think Greg is working
for? Them? Who is the real boss? I thought it was God, but, I could be
wrong in that regard I suppose.  And then you mention again of how the
former pastor bringing dissension from the ranks of his spiritual groupies.
I thank God I am not that person as that is one of God's abominations.
Surely a man who has served God for as long as he has would know this? Why
not support and guide, counsel, and help a younger person, even if he has
taken his old position? Is there fear? Fear of doing better? Fear of a
lesser admiration from his groupies? What is this when you boil it down?
Pride. Do not these folks see that we are all part of the body of Christ?
That we are to love, support, encourage one another. To help those when
they are down, and not kick them. To rejoice with them when things are
worthy of rejoicing, and to cry with those who morn. No doubt Greg and
yourself have a tremendous amount of patience to endure all you have. These
folks seem to be happy if they can play church and as long as they are not
convicted, or pride is not hurt, then they will allow themselves to be
tolerant of others work without complaint. But let pride be hurt,
conviction set upon them in the midst of their cohorts and peers, or face
various struggles which might cause them to take more action than finding
out who is sitting in their invisibly labeled pew. Any of the above then
they must complain to make themselves feel better or to take the heat off
themselves.  They would probably not complain about biblical or spiritual
issues, because from what you have noted, they, for the most part, likely
do not have much clue whether Greg is right or wrong and can't challenge at
that level, cause they  haven't had their nose in the bible, but in other
people's issues. I do not mean to sound so hard, it just drives me how
people can be so shallow and cowardly as to not just come out and say what
is the problem, or admit it if they are found in conviction. If they are
convicted, better to thank the man of God who brought it to their attention
rather than defend it by lashing out to create a distraction of their
conviction. I pray God's guidance for you guys in your struggles there. I
remember the tape you sent me of one of Greg's teachings. I found it to be
interesting, informative and enlightening. They ought feel fortunate to
have such a quality leader who can offer things to learn and apply in one's
life. But perhaps they do not want to learn or change, but rather just do
same same and never change, never mold themselves more like Christ. Anyway,
I better quit before I get too down on such attitudes and get myself in
trouble lol too late? I know as well it is a confusing time with ministry
challenges with some question as to if you ought be there in Maine, yet a
seeming paradox of building a home, and after so long of waiting to finally
have that.  There is a great song by Casting Crowns called Voice of Truth
talking about the voice of life's waves and the giant speaking in one's ear
of how we never win, but the voice of truth says different and to choose to
listen to that voice. There are so many negative and distracting voices,
but God's is the voice to follow. I apologize if I sound harsh, I know
these are your congregation, I just do not understand the effort and time
waste going into such meaningless complaints.

Brad