ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peggy Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:35:27 -0700
I guess it has been a week and a half since I've sent an update,
and some of
you are beginning to inquire so guess it's time for me to catch
you all up.
As always, we continue to appreciate all the help and support we
have
received from everyone.

Ann began the chemotherapy and radiation on Monday the 18th.  The
week and a
half before were spent visiting all the doctors, getting a face
mask molded
for the radiation, and trying to line up the drugs.  The chemo
drugs are
pills, and were not easy to locate since they are specific to
brain cancer.
But we got them just in time.  The most interesting pre-treatment
event was
the radiation dress rehearsal on Friday the 15th where they went
through all
the process except for administering the radiation.  Kind of adds
new meaning
to the concept of medical practice I think.  There are lots of
drugs and
they're
all in similar containers.  So, we put each container into a zip
lock bag and
I made Braille labels for all the bags.

One complication last weekend was the need to change the seizure
drugs for
compatibility with chemotherapy.  So, Ann had to take both the
old and new
drug.  And she was really drugged until Wednesday.  We had a few
minor
catastrophes-the worst was that she dropped a plate and then had
to stand
there barefoot in the broken glass while we got it cleaned up.
But all was
survived and she has adjusted to the new drug.  It will be
increased tonight
and again next weekend so hopefully it won't be as difficult as
last
weekend.  But we have to max the new drug before we can decrease
the old one.

On Monday she started the treatment at Puget Sound Cancer Center
which is
operated by Swedish Hospital at Northwest.  She gets up around
7:00, takes
the non-cancer drugs and eats.  Then around 8:30 she takes the
all important
nausea drug.  Around 9:00 she takes the chemo dose, at 9:30
someone from the
church comes to give her a ride to the radiation treatment which
happens at
10:15,and around 11:15 or so she returns home.  The first few
days she was
pretty sick when she got home, but a change in nausea drugs have
really made
a difference.  Good thing too or else I would need some of those
nausea drugs
for myself.  Once home she usually naps awhile because the
radiation is very
tiring, and somewhere around 3:00 or so she's feeling pretty
good.  At that
point she looks at email, eats, and does whatever else needs to
happen until
around 9:00 when there's a round of drugs and then sleep.  Pretty
much the
same schedule all week days.  No radiation on weekends.  Not much
energy to go
anywhere but she's been actively playing in the ACB poker
tournament at
AllInPlay which is a very accessible online gaming site.  Her
nickname there
is SSBell if you're also playing in the tournament.

We especially want to thank those of you who work in state
government and
have so generously donated leave to Ann.  She is applying for
Long Term
Disability benefits and will eventually be receiving that, but
meanwhile the
Shared Leave is keeping some money coming in.  We will continue
to look for
donated leave until the benefits start.  Then she will only need
a small
amount to keep her medical going.  I'll let you know when we're
not needing
leave donations.  I also appreciate my employer's flexibility
about my work
schedule and leave needs.

I get lots of questions about gifts etc.  Right now she is not
eating much
and doesn't want to associate any of her favorite foods with not
feeling
well.  So treats are things like mashed potatoes, Swiss cheese,
and other
pretty traditional foods.  At the treatment center they gave out
samples of
graham crackers and Ensure, both of which are well received.  But
everything
is in tiny amounts.  I think she'll be open to food treats when
she's on the
break in five weeks.  We're going to put a CD player in her room,
her PC will
be in there as soon as I can run some wiring in there, and she's
listening
to XM a lot.  She can definitely get your emails but isn't much
up for phone
calls except the messages.

Email: [log in to unmask]

Voice mail: 206-888-4332.

There are actually quite a few other things going on in our lives
in
addition to Ann's treatment.  On the 12th, my boy friend Rick
Lewis moved
here from Phoenix.  The 142 boxes of his stuff have not yet
arrived.  Rick's
arrival has been wonderful for us in terms of support.  But
Marcina has some
issues with this because Eddy the cat has also moved here.
Marcina and Eddy
have agreed to ignore each other for the most part.  There were a
lot of
challenges associated with Rick's move and unfortunately I
couldn't go there
to help.  Now I'm waiting nervously for the 142 boxes.  Did I
mention that
there are 142 boxes? Yikes.

And we got a new roof this week.  Ann and the rest of us had to
put up with
compressors, nailing etc.  But of course that's better than a
leaky roof in
Seattle.  Speaking of leaks, we had one of those but not from the
roof.  Our
upstairs bathroom sprang a leak on Sunday night.  This would have
been a real
disaster but fortunately my parents were there and my father put
his finger
in the dike.  All is calm now and should be easier this week.

I will be in DC from Tuesday through Friday.  People are lined up
to bring
dinner each night, and others are lined up to take Ann to
radiation each
day.  Rick and the animals will be in charge.  Hopefully Ann will
continue to
feel as well as she does now for the coming week.

Again, we truly thank you all for your prayers, help, good wishes
and
support.  We couldn't get through this without all of you.

Deb