ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:58:16 -0500
Hey, Matt

I did a Web search on Ask Jeeves and asked "What is a Bible Church?"  (I put
the whole question in quotes.  This is one of the answers I got (I copied
them from web pages so I hope they're accessible and not full of junk code):

What Is a Bible Church?

For many people who visit a Bible Church, they might wonder what a Bible
Church believes and stands for. How does a Bible Church operate and what are
their affiliations? This "fact sheet" will try to help you understand the
doctrinal position and style of Calvary Bible Church

    1.. Bible Churches do not incorporate a denominational name because
their faithfulness to the Word of God is more important to them than the
faithfulness to a denominational name or group. They do not oppose
denominations as such, but have seen a progression toward liberalism in most
of the large groups. Keeping themselves independent of denominational ties
has helped to maintain their allegiance to the purity of God's Word.
    2.. Bible Churches vary in their style of service. Calvary Bible Church
has chosen to conduct its service in a traditional manner with emphasis on
strong Bible teaching, evangelism, and conservative, sacred music.
    3.. Bible Churches are not all the same. Some are charismatic and follow
a Pentecostal doctrinal position which is called "Wesleyan." They would hold
to the ideas that a true believer can lose his personal salvation and that
there is a separate time when the Holy Spirit begins the sanctification
process other than the time of salvation. Some have linked the gift of
tongues-speaking to this experience. Calvary Bible Church does not support
the use of tongues-speaking in its services, nor does is cooperate with the
movements in this country involved with it.
    Our church is fundamental both in doctrinal position and practice of our
faith. We have a Board of Elders called a "Session" that oversee the work of
the church along with the Pastor. We have congregational meetings in which
the whole church membership approves the annual budget and matters of
special significance.
  Here's another answer I got:

  Labels are important. They give identity, reveal character, and offer a
sense of security in the presence of multiple options. Churches bearing the
"Bible" label present a positive worship opportunity in a day of spiritual
uncertainty. However, not all "Bible" churches have Bible in their name.

  Conservatively Identified
  Bible churches identify themselves with the conservative movement within
Christianity. They align themselves with high standards of morality and
ethics that are taken from the Bible. Bible churches consistently teach the
Word of God to a world in need.
  In the midst of the shifting sands of popular opinion, the Word of God
provides personal, spiritual stability. Bible churches seek to measure the
experiences of life by God's standard as revealed in the Bible. Thus, it is
God's Word that is the core of preaching in Bible churches whether on
Sundays, at funerals, or at socials. Bible doctrine is the strength of Bible
churches.

  Voluntarily Supported
  Bible churches are self-supporting. While often involved in the fellowship
offered in IFCA International, Bible churches remain independent,
self-determining and self-supporting organizations. Following biblical
examples, congregations are encouraged to give voluntarily, systematically,
and proportionally. Such giving supports both local ministry and mission
programs reaching around the world.

  Uniquely Organized
  Bible churches are organized churches often developed from a Bible study.
Each church determines its own organization and government. There is no
denominational structure to bring outside interference or control. Bible
churches find identity with others through fellowships such as IFCA
International.

  Biblically Balanced
  Bible churches are balanced churches. They adhere to the fundamentals of
faith while addressing contemporary issues. They want to honor God by living
according to the Bible. They utilize the strengths of biblical doctrine in
the shaping of a social consciousness and sensitivity. Vital doctrines in
the heart lead to valid experiences in life.

  Mutually Committed
  Bible churches are not perfect churches but a fellowship of churches
committed to God and to one another. They love the Lord; therefore, they
love all who belong to Him. You are invited to consider attending the
worship services of a local Bible church.

There were a lot more if you want to try that same searching technique.  One
warning.  I noticed that Kenneth Hagen is head of a Bible Church.  I don't
know about the rest of them, but I have a problem with him.  (You can hear
him screaming on TV on any day.  Smile.)

Paul