ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:54:05 -0700
Since I have talked about my nephew on here before and some of you prayed
for him when there was what they thought was a flare up of the MS they said
he had, I thought I would pass along their January/February newsletter.
Keep in mind, although this is now a United States ally, the KGB still
functions in this country and Christians are not very well liked by the
authorities.

Phil.

    Last month our family attended HOPE '08, our Asia regional conference.
It was a very encouraging time for the whole family.  Our organization, PI,
commissioned us as Area Leaders and after we returned to Central Asia, it
started out as an adventure.
    Some of you have heard that I was interviewed last week by the local
prosecutor's office.  The way that it came about was the prosecutor's office
was investigating the Christian Organization that owns the building we rent
our office space in.  The prosecutor saw our office rent contracts and
wanted to know who we were and what we were doing in the building.  They
interviewed me for two hours.  At the end, I had to sign and date my
statement regarding my activities (all of which were legitimate and within
the scope of my visa contract).  Since then, they have not called me back
for another interview, but they have been going around the building asking
other local people about who I am and what I do.  We are told that the
prosecutor's office will be investigating the people and organizations in
the building over the next 30 days.
    As a result, we had to cancel our Sharpening Your Interpersonal Skills
(SYIS) workshop (Feb. 11-15th).  We were planning on having 25 locals
attend, but felt we needed to wait and see what would happen.  Over the past
two weeks we have been able to verify that five different Christian
Organizations in the city have been interviewed by the local police or
prosecutor's office.  Some sources have reported upwards of 12 organizations
(this has not been confirmed yet).  Please pray for wisdom and peace from
the Lord in this time for all the local Christians and foreign workers in
Almaty.
    This month, February, our visas are up for renewal (Feb. 25th).  Pray
that we would be able to get one year, multi-entry visas for the whole
family.  Our rent is also due for the year (Feb. 22nd).  Pray that the
landlady would not increase our rent and would be patient with us as our
visas expire after our lease is up.
    It appears that there are many potential changes in this area.  Pray
that the Lord would give us his wisdom and revelation about the next steps.
We are doing some research about what are our options for visas and
platforms.
    On a high note, *Amber turns 9 years old this week.  She was born on
Valentines Day.
Blessings,
Dave, Wendy, Ruth and Amber Adamson

Prayer Requests:
*Pray that we would have the Lord's wisdom and revelation in moving forward
to a business platform.
*Pray that we local believers and foreign workers would stand firm in this
time of uncertainty
*Pray that our visas would be renewed for 1 year multiple entry (Feb. 25th)
*Pray that our landlady would keep the rent at the same price this year as
last year.
*Pray that we would have the Lord's peace and strength.

Praises:
*We had a very encouraging time at our regional conference last month.
*Ruth and Amber are doing well in school.