ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:04:45 -0500
Vinnie,

An important note on this Scripture is the word "brother". Giving meaning
of one who is some how "connected" either by relation or similar, as in
fellow Christian. This scripture to me tends to remind us that we are not
meant to be used as door mats for people to take advantage of, and offer a
rebuking upon a trespass, yet if repentance is evident forgiveness ought
be given. Now, as I read this I thought of...

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven, give us our daily bread, and
forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."
oops... no mention of repentance here. This caused me to wonder. The
scripture in Luke, is that meant to example an outward show of rebuke, and
a directive to not forgive internally. Or is it a directive to show rebuke
while having yet forgiveness inside but not expressing it until repentence
comes? In other words, if a "brother" sins against us, we show rebuke yet
have forgiveness in side, but if he shows repentance, we then show him the
forgiveness we have? Sort of a balanced scale? After all not forgiving
another holds us a prisoner more often than the offender. Many times the
offender doesn't know they offended, unforgiveness holds us in bondage and
we need to come to forgiving, if for no other reason than to free us. I
did not go to this person I talked of in an earlier post and submit my
forgiveness to them. But, if they were to approach me with repentence, I
indeed would.

Brad