ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Teri Van Pelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:45:06 -0400
In lieu of what I did she sent out the following letter to all the writers
I am thinking about telling her to forget it and try on my own.  Tee

Hi Everybody,

       One of the contributors to my book shared a response she received the
other day from someone with whom she'd shared edited copy.  It was a
favorable response, however, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach
because I realized that I had not discussed this with any of you.

       As simply as I can put it, and I'm no expert in this or any area of law; but
I know this much.  Your story, like mine, is testimony that has been shared
w/countless numbers of people throughout our lives.  No problem there.  Once
you (the author) and I (the editor) have agreed that I can have your story
published in this anthology; and I edit, chg., add, or delete any part of it, it
then becomes my intellectual property.  I will be saying to a publisher that this
is my work and it has NEVER been published before in any format.  Once the
book is published, that publishing house house will have First North American
Serial Rights to the entire content.  No one,  not even you or I can, can have
it printed, or published anywhere else w/out the publisher's permission.  Then
it will read something like: Reprinted with permission from When I Stepped Out
on Faith... copyright 2007.

       Cyber Law is a brand new area of law that new lawyers are able to make
a career in because all of the older lawyers-many don't even know how to turn
on a computer.  The important bottomline is this: Once I've BEGUN work on
your story, PLEASE do not share it online or in print w/anyone before it's been
published..  The internet is a form of publication and online theft is fairly
rampant w/little or no recourse because the law is way behind technology.
Besides, I'm not interested in lawsuits.  I can completely finish your story and
you change your mind-that will be between you and God.  I'll be satisfied that
I've done what, I believe, He has asked me to do.  I WILL however, have you
sign an agreement (between you and I) that you are giving me permission to
publish your testimony; and in that agreement will also be a statement where
you agree that it has not previously been published elsewhere.

       I have an important call coming in.  I'll finish this up in a bit.  Back later.