ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:15:50 -0500
That's okay, Brad, I knew what you meant.
          Chris has his ups and downs.  He was over Sunday, during
the snow storm, for the day.  We were surprised to discover that the
game was actually broadcast on TV out here, so we had fun watching it
together.
         Unfortunately, Chris's drug use has caught up with him and
he has pretty much done a number on his brane.  He had two psychotic
breaks this summer and is now taking anti-psychotic and
anti-depressant   medication, so that's something knew.  He won't
give up smoking pot, which doesn't react well with the prescription
drugs, so, there you have it.  He's been living in homeless shelters
since August, except for the two times that he spent in the mental
hospital. That was fun. NOT!     He was kicked out of the first
homeless shelter, the better one, for smoking pot right out side the
door.  Now, he's in a pretty crowded one, but he gets one meal a day
and he usually gets a bed.
         We can't have him at home, to live, partly because of Caleb
and Liz.  Plus, the second time that he ended up in the hospital, he
was held there because he had stabbed himself, making him a bit
unsafe in the home.  By being homeless, many government social
agencies step in to try to help him find a job and a stable
environment.  As a mother, it's really hard to fight against the
desire to rescue, but it really is in his best interest for us to let
him work out his problems himself at present.  We will have him out
for a day, on the weekend, he will often attend church, but the rest
of the week, he stays hanging out in down town Bangor.
         Our relationship with him has really been getting pretty
good.  He has apologized many times now for the hell that he put us
through a few years ago.  We have good discussions about God and
life.  He respects us tremendously now, which as you know, helps a
great deal in the healing process.  He can still be caught in lies
and he still tries to use us from time to time.  We still don't trust
him and we still keep a safe distance in a lot of situations.
         Thursday, Matt is supposed to be flying home from Grand
Rapids.  It will be the first time that we have seen him since June
of 2006, except for at my dad's funeral in January.  It will be the
first time that we will have been altogether, as a family since
2005.  We are hoping that Chris can come to stay with us Christmas
eve and through Christmas day.  Both boys will have to leave the day
after Christmas.  Matt will fly back to try to get extra work at
Wendies, to try to make up for the time off while out here.  Chris
has started working at a bakery for about 30 hours a week.  Both boys
will leave around 3:30 am. Wednesday morning, but I do hope that I
get my 36 hours of having the family together for Christmas.
         We've had more stress added too because the person that Greg
subs for at the post office pulled a muscle and will be off work for
at least a month.  That isn't very good news for a pastor, when you
consider that this is one of our busiest times of the year in
ministry as well.  Greg has been putting in 10 and 12 hour days at
the post office on top of everything else.  What we are praying is
that he will end up working enough to finally get all of these car
repairs paid off and off our back so that we don't have to deal with
it any more.  Of course, that means that we also have to pray that it
won't break down again.
         I bet you're sorry you asked about Chris, arent you?  You
really just got an ear full, and so did everybody else!  Sorry about that.
God bless,
Kathy