ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:56 -0700
Kathy,

I certainly agree with most of what you said.  Yes, it is our responsibility
to check things out to the best of our ability and leave the rest up to the
Lord.  Some are lost sheep who do go from place to place.  I am not certain
why you take our comments so personally because nobody has ever suggest you
and Greg fall into that category.  Jesus did a lot of church bashing in his
day.  He wasn't well liked as a result.  When you think about it, the book
of Revelation starts out with church bashing.  To a great extent, the church
in this country has strayed a long ways from its true identity as a bride.
It was not God's will for the needs that George and his family had to be
meant by the Cherokee but the Lord used them because the church not only
would not help them but didn't bother to do a little checking.  I am
pastoring now a handful of people.  I was an assistant pastor in western
Colorado and pastored a small church of about 50 people here in Denver for
awhile.  I got calls like that, too.  If we could help, we did.  If we
couldn't, we didn't.  I pray with people every day, Kathy, who have been
burned by the church.  I sit and listen to their pitiful stories.  I always
try to help mend what is broken.  I always encourage people to stay in
church or to get into a church.  This is one reason why we started meeting
in our home on Friday nights, and now again on Sunday mornings, to try and
provide a place for people to go who have been hurt.  Regardless, you
somehow seem to take it personally whenever something is said about the
church as if we are referring to you and, of course, such is not the case.
I have had drifters steal my identity whom we helped in the church and later
had the police call me because they thought I was involved in a situation
this man and his partner pulled and were arrested.  I well know how people
travel around trying to live off the churches.  Judgment is going to begin
at the house of the Lord.  I've been burned myself so many times by the
church, it is ridiculous but I've never given up on it because of that.
I've been in lots of churches.  Some I traveled and preached in and others
the Lord put me in for a period of time for a reason.  If I told you the
reason, you wouldn't believe it so I won't go into any detail but frankly, I
have been burned in nearly every church where I was a member.  I haven't
disowned the church as a result and, in fact, just ask the people who know
me.  I place a huge emphasis on the local New Testament church and for some
very good reasons.  If you think this is bad, wait until the spokesmen's God
is going to raise up, before His return, start speaking out about the Bride.
It ain't going to be pretty.  Kathy, unfortunately, one of my jobs happens
to be speaking out.  I don't like the job, I didn't ask for it, and I said
no to the Lord for a period of four years before I couldn't say no any
longer.  So I cannot remain silent due to my calling in certain areas.  It
doesn't mean I think all churches are bad so please try not to take it
personally because it isn't meant that way.

Phil.
I flew Kites With Jesus
www.safeplacefellowship.com