ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 22:53:20 -0500
I called Andy's mom. Here is the latest update. They took him for a walk
down the long hallway, and he did very good. Leaned a little to one side
but overall very good. They have him sitting up a lot. His head wrap is
off. They have him strapped in the chair when he is up so he doesn't hurt
himself somehow. He is very loopy yet from the meds and it is uncertain
yet if he recognizes people or not. His fiance brought in  his one year
old son but he didn't  respond much. Andy does talk although  not always
making sense. He knows his mom but that might be because she has referred
herself to him as mom so often. He knows his name and birth date but can't
remember why he is in the hospital. He gets agitated some and will say
stuff like... "Mom I need to sit down"  when he is sitting down but then
puts his pillow on the bed. They think his reference to sitting down is
him meaning he wants to put his feet on the bed while sitting in the
chair. They said he has a lot of bruising of the brain in the frontal
area, which controls behavior. Bruising is not repairable in the brain and
we can only hope  it isn't too severe. I guess the nurses well know he
remembers how to toss out expletives, but they say this is common in head
injuries. His mom said he will sit and he is a bit anxious  trying to lean
forward and reposition himself and etc. The nurses said when he goes for a
walk he is very content afterwards so the exercise and just getting out of
bed or the chair probably helps. We just continue to pray his brain isn't
damaged to a point of not being able to function but in all our wishing,
we have to remember it hasn't even been two weeks since his accident and
he is doing great in recovery. They are getting him ready to go to another
floor, the floor  to begin rehabilitation. Andy has a pretty big hole in
one elbow they need to do surgery on, as well a couple cracked collar
bones they need to fix up. Then they figured about 3 to 4 surgeries on his
head which they'll do last. I am going to head over there Wednesday night
and get in late and hopefully Thursday go see him if not on the weekend. I
plan to go in and not tell him who I am to see if he recognizes me. Then
I'm going to grab his hand and pray with, or for, him, perhaps silently as
to not cause him distress if he can't understand what  I'm saying, we'll
see. I appreciate your continued prayer for him for a full recovery. They
indicated there will be a time when he will have need  for assisted living
facility as he'll be too healthy for the hospital but not well enough to
care for himself without supervision. Oh and they took the feeding tube
off and he is eating well with a good appetite, I believe they are feeding
him and he is not yet feeding himself. So that is the update for now. I
was thinking of bringing him a new fishing  rod and reel because Andy
loves fishing, but  I'm not sure that would be good yet. If I knew he was
understanding everything, I thought it would be a neat thing for him to
look on leaning in the corner of his room as incentive to bust out one
day, but he's got a way to go yet.

Brad