ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:08:13 -0400
Hey Brad, don't you think that part of the lack of communication is a
generational thing though?  I mean, let's face it, I think that we baby
boomers are probably the first generation to really feel a need, or a
right, to spill our guts and agonize over things rather than grit our
teeth and do what we were asked no matter how we feel.
        You know, my dad was in World War II, and I know that he saw, and
experienced, a lot, but he never talks about it.  He just came on home
and started up a family and got on with his life.  I contrast that to the
baby boomers who went to Vietnam and feel a need to justify all their
behavior, upon coming home, as if they deserved a pass because of what
they went through.  My dad's generation went through stuff too, but they
didn't talk about it.  They just moved on.  We ruminate upon what we've
gone through and take the risk of getting stuck in it.  Then, we get
frustrated that our parents' generation aren't very good communicators,
but they were doers and I'm not sure that a lot of our generation can say
the same.  We want our parents to talk more.  They want us to do more.  I
think that that definitely adds to the mix at least.  Maybe that isn't
quite the case in your situation since you admit that you may hold back
from sharing, but that might not be all bad either.  I know that I don't
share a lot of what I go through with my parents because, as parents, I
know that they'd probably be frustrated that they can't help.  I know I
would be frustrated if I couldn't help my kids and I know that that is
already happening more and more in our family as my kids get older.
Anyway, maybe all of this is more normal than we realize.
Kathy

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!