ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:47:47 -0600
You Are Gold

By Phil Scovell

     People often ask blind people what they see.  they mean, of
course, do you just see blackness or total darkness all the time?
The answer if different for many blind people.

     take my wife for example.  She has never seen.  she dreams
like anyone else.  She visualizes and pictures things described to
her.  She even describes her own concepts of color.  she is, as my
mother-in-law used to say, quite savvy about what colors go
together, especially when it comes to clothing, and much more than
I am.  She even wrote a story once, when she was in the school for
the blind, about the difference between black and pink.  I find
that quite interesting.

     In my case, on the other hand, I did not go blind until I was
about 11 years old.  Colors to me are still quite vivid.  In fact,
I think in color.  As I type this, I see hundreds of varieties of
shapes and colors floating around in front of me and if as I were
looking into a very sophisticated and intricate kaleidoscope.
Yes, I peered through such devices before I went blind.  Back in
my hippy days of the late sixties when I was doing LSD and other
such drugs, my colors, and geometric shape, expanded and shined
brilliantly.  I have no idea why.  I don't even know why I see
colors in the first place.

     Years ago, I must have been about 26 years of age, I had my
second eye removed.  I had the first one removed at about age 15
due to glaucoma and severe pain.  The second one was removed
largely due to discomfort relating to bright light and other such
things.  So, yes, both my eyes are now artificial.

     I told my eye doctor about my kaleidoscope effect and he
cautioned me that, once the eye was removed, the optic nerve would
be severed and that the colors my go away.  He was concerned I
might be worried about that.  I assured him it wasn't a problem.
It didn't, however, happen.  In fact, when my eye was removed and
the optic nerve cut, for several days, while still in the
hospital, I saw the most beautiful bluish purplish color that I
had ever seen and it blanked out all other previous colors.  It
was truly emotionally rapturous to see.  Eventually, the
kaleidoscope effect returned, however.  when I mentioned to the
eye doctor about the beautiful blue and purple curtain of haze
hanging in front of my eyes, he suggested it might be like getting
hit in the eye with a ball pein hammer and seeing stars.
Eventually, after a few days, everything turned to normal, if you
call what I see normal, and the visual kaleidoscope phenomenon
resumed.

     Now, what does all of that have to do about the title of this
article:  "I See Gold?"  I'm glad you asked.  Let me explain.

     Before I do, however, let me add something else you may find
unusual.  I see words in color.  For example, my name, "Phil," is
white when I picture it in my mind.  My wife's name is, "Sandy,"
and it is Navy blue.  The name "Jan" is a pale green.  My
daughter's name is "Gretchen" and it is a grassy green when I
picture it in my thoughts.  I could keep this up all day but this
should be enough to give you an idea of how I think.  No, none of
this bothers me nor do I consciously think of it.

     So, with all of this information in mind, you may very well
understand when I tell you that when I pray, or when I am praying
with someone, or sometimes when I am just thinking about the Lord,
I'm referring to The True Lord Jesus Christ, of course, I sense,
and sort of see, yellow, that is, yellow as in the color of the
sun for example.  To be more specific, it is like the rays of the
sun I see.  I actually, it would seem, sense it more than really
seeing it.  When this occurs, it is not a solid and isolated
color.  By that I mean, it is not fixed or stationary.  It is
yellow as if the sun is shining into my thoughts.  Sure, it's all
in my head, but it happens, nonetheless.  You may choose to
consider it all psychological, but it makes little difference to
me, because I have a different idea.  I never thought much about
this until one day I realized it happened a lot but only when
thinking, about, and specifically, praying, to the Lord.

     One day, for the fun of it, I said, "Lord, why do I see
yellow light shining around in my thoughts when I think of you or
pray with someone?"  I received a one word answer but I understood
immediately.

     "Gold."

     With this single word answer, I felt in my spirit, and I'm
sorry if that has no meaning to you, but I felt in my spirit,
something spiritual.  You could even say I felt something
theological in nature.  This has happened to me many times so it
didn't alarm or bother me.  In fact, I was pleased and smiled when
I felt it.  What did I feel?  I felt purity, as in refined perfect
gold.  If you know anything of the bible, you know Gold often
depicts the purity and holiness of God.  So, naturally, the single
word answer was obvious and I rejoiced at what I felt.

     What is wonderful about this concept is that it is also who I
am in Christ.  Not bad, hey?  Since the Bible clearly indicates we
are His children and that we, in fact, have inherited everything
He has, the concept shouldn't seem disjointed or out of place
theologically.  I have experienced, yes, literally experienced,
the omnipresence of God.  It would take a book to explain so
you'll just have to take my word for it for now.  I likewise have
literally experienced, through prayer, other Bible doctrine, as
well as things considered theological, but this one was short and
sweet.  Now when I sense, more than actual see, the yellow gold
shining in my thoughts, I know what it means.  Do you?

Phil C Sharp
The Coil Of The snake
A Free Online E-Novel
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com