ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 04:41:50 -0400
I feel sad for that person and those who refused to allow you to participate
in that bible study.  You were justified in leaving that church for that
reason,  Many times those who proclaim their Christianity are not as fine a
Christians as they should be.  Those who do such things are truly in need of
our prayers, and when they die, if not before, Our Lord will surely show to
them the error of their ways.  Our Catholic Church too has been backward in
her approach to her dealings with the disabled.  She still has much to learn
in that respect and Jesus has much to teach her.  She will learn and will
atone for her sins regarding her relationship toward us.  We must remember
many such mistakes result from ignorance rather than deliberate malice.  We
are many times more blessed than are they because we know how good and godly
many disabled people are.  We also know our capabilities much better than do
they and in this we are fortunate, more so than they.  This is why we are
able to forgive such people even before they even know what wrong they have
committed.  Many times those who sin with respect to offences against us
truly don't know what they are doing as Jesus said on his cross.  Let me
tell you a story illustrating this point.  When I was young I wanted to be a
nun.  I felt God had called me to the religious life.  The nuns felt we all
of us blind and otherwise disabled women aspiring to such a life should be
cloistered.  I did not want that sort of life.  Now, looking back, I think
the cloistered life is one I shouldn't have scoffed at so readily.  There
may not be any higher calling than that of devoting one's entire life to
prayer fasting, and meditation on our dear Lord's precious sacrifice which
he made for the whole world so it can be united with his holy and beneficent
Father from whom all good things flow.  I was foolish then and failed to
realize this.  I felt the church was the foolish one not to provide me with
the same options she gives all others who are called to serve him in such a
life.  I felt she was closing me off from opportunities I had a rite to
have.  How different my life would have been if I would have heeded the call
of our Lord and served him as a nun no matter the situation.  Many times we
endure many hardships because of our stubbornness as did the Children of
Israel. How much easier our lives could be if we would only learn obedience.
On the other hand many doors were opened to me which wouldn't have been if I
had become a nun, and my faith has been tested in ways it may not have been,
thus proving to me what my works were truly made of.  Sometimes Our Lord
allows people to turn us away from situations simply to present to us finer
ways in which to serve him.  He may not  have wanted you to associate with
such people so your faith would not be tainted by doubt.  Who knows what
teachings were taught in that bible study of theirs.    I will pray that
those people will awake from their sleep and realize it was their loss more
than it was yours not having you to participate in that bible study.  I am
glad to know this incident has not stifled your zeal in the service of our
lord.  His goodness shall surely flow toward you and his kindness shall
surely drop on your head as the rain falls from heaven.