ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 21:24:55 -0600
Well, I have a story to tell you myself.  Some months ago, one of this group's members sent out a message, seemingly out of the blue.  The subject was "Remember This."  Then she quoted Phillipiams 4, starting with verse 6, I believe, that says: "Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and suplication with thanksgiving, let your request be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Now, let me explain that I had, at some point, been diagnosed as having obsessive compulssive disorder, o c d for short.  My symptoms include constant fear that I would go to Hell by some means.

Not too long after I got this message, I began to practice handing what I've thought has been my responsibility of keeping myself alive over to The Lord.  Without being able to do this, I've had a negative mental way of responding to this anxiety that would sort of give me a quick fix that seemed better than nothing but not secure coping skill.  Yes, I might slip a little back, but I can tell you that God is at work here, helping me to let go and trust Him in His word!  Yes, it's possible that I might have some anomaly in my brain that seems genetically inherited, and yes, I might need to take medications, but this letting go thing is taking a heavy, unnecessary burden off my shoulders, so don't tell me the Bible doesn't work!

Sharon

Sent from my iPhone