ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:25:06 -0700
From: Dutch Sheets Ministries

Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:23 AM
Subject: Dutch Sheets' response to the recent presidential election

Greetings!

November 6, 2008

I feel certain that many in my stream of the Church want a statement from me
concerning Tuesday's presidential election. I will be frank in my remarks
but
I do not, however, intend to vent anger or attack anyone. I have read
several statements from friends and colleagues I respect very much.
Their thoughts are well stated and, for the most part, insightful. None of
them, however, seem to want to say some things that I believe need to be
said.
I do not claim infallibility or to have the final word, but my convictions
run deep and I believe I bear a God-given responsibility to share them.

Was This God's Will?

Was what happened Tuesday God's will? I am quite confident it was not.
America was offered a very clear choice between moving further toward
protecting
the unborn or further away; between a Supreme Court that would move toward
honoring God, life and morality or away from it. The stakes couldn't have
been
higher nor the cost greater. As a nation we put on blinders concerning Barak
Obama's background, associations, beliefs and practices, and set these
causes
back years, possibly decades.
And in doing so we took another step away from God and His plans for
America, and another step toward judgment.

Judgment Will Increase

This is not a fire and brimstone warning from an angry, legalistic preacher.
In fact, I feel more sadness and grief than anything else.
Perhaps I feel what Jesus felt as He wept for Jerusalem while announcing its
judgment. I am not hoping for judgment; I am saying it is inevitable. I
don't
know where the unbiblical belief comes from that says a nation can live any
way it pleases, can reject God and His ways-even mock Him-and not receive
His
judgments. Nor do I know when the belief came that it is always
mean-spirited or judgmental to warn of these things. To the contrary, I
believe it is our
responsibility.

In warning of judgment, I am not suggesting that God is going to intentially
and directly hurt people. Much judgment is simply the absence of God's
protection
and provision, caused by a rejection of His laws and ways. We have been
experiencing some forms of judgment in America for years, but God in His
incredible
patience and mercy has kept us from the level we've deserved. I believe this
will change to a degree and judgment will now
increase:

* For those in the Church who aligned themselves with pro-abortionforces, I
believe judgment will result.
* For leaders in the Body of Christ who refused to take a stand for fear of
losing people, money, and tax-exempt status-I believe there will be a degree
of judgment.
* For those, both within the Church and without, who voted money over
morality-a potential raise or better health insurance over the life of a
baby-there
will be judgment. (The irony is that this decision to base one's vote on the
hopes of a better economy won't produce the hoped for result anyway. The
scriptures
teach that it is righteousness which exalts a nation and that the nation is
blessed whose God is the Lord.)

I have heard the argument that God cares as much about social justice issues
(such as poverty and racism) as He does abortion, making a vote for Obama
OK.
I certainly believe God puts a very high priority on caring for the poor and
I, too, have wanted to see equality demonstrated through a "minority"
president.
But to equate having a better income or the desire for a first black
president, regardless of his positions on abortion and morality, to the
issue of killing
50 million babies is not justice-it is a gross distortion of justice and
great deception. I fear that we have been desensitized to this issue of
abortion.
I believe it kills babies and takes innocent life. I also believe it is
blood sacrifice that empowers demons. Let's not forget this in our noble
attempts
to be kind and conciliatory.
For African Americans I can easily see how it could bring healing to have a
first black president, just as it would be for Native Americans to achieve
this
or for women if a woman were elected president. Again, I have wanted to see
justice in this way. I am only saddened that the price for this healing
ended
up being Barak Obama, a man that will set the cause of life and,
most-likely, our God-given destiny as a nation back so drastically. (I also
realize there
are some who interpret any criticism of Obama as racism. Racism is so NOT
what I am about nor what I live, that I will not even dignify any such
accusations
with a response.)

What Can We Expect?

What are some of the judgments we can expect on our nation from this
election?

* More economic woes
* More violence in an already violent nation
* Disease and death (satan, who is responsible for these things will have
greater inroads to our nation.)
* Natural disasters (weather-tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, drought; fires;
earthquakes; etc.)
* Terrorism (they will fear us much less now)
* War, perhaps on our own soil
* Judgments relating to the Court. The stacking of the Supreme Court against
the sanctity of life and God's influence on America will occur, which will
in turn cause the shedding of more innocent blood, more rejection of God's
laws and the stealing from us of our godly heritage-all of which will
perpetuate
a cycle of even more judgment.

How Did This Happen?

I've been asked if this could have been averted had there been more prayer.
I'm not sure. I believe there was a remnant of Christians fervently praying
over these elections-I don't think there was anything more they could have
done. Others, obviously, should have done more. The complacency and lack of
discernment concerning our real condition in America-especially by the
Church-is both appalling and horrifying. America is in serious trouble and
it seems
no one wants to say it. Fewer still are willing to do anything to change it.

Though I understand our reasons, we must be careful in our attempts to
placate our feelings and calm our fears through religious phrases like "God
is still
on the throne" or "God has a plan". He was on His throne 35 years and 50
million babies ago. And He had a plan back then. The problem is, it was us.
understand our reasons for waving high the banner of God's sovereignty at
times like these-it gives us hope. I will wave it, as well.
But please be careful with this. Too much emphasis on God's sovereignty and
we're worthless; too little and we're hopeless. Maybe we should say, "we
lost
a critical battle but God will give us strategy to win the war." Then find
the strategy.

But still yet, since God is usually willing to work through a remnant, I
thought we had enough prayer. Obviously, God decided otherwise. There comes
a time
when He will not forgive or bless the majority based on the prayers or
actions of only a few. America rejected God and asked for a king; I believe
we now
have our Saul (see 1 Samuel 8:5-7)-a man who does not have God's heart for
America but his own. Like Israel in scripture, our nation believes it can
turn
from God and still be blessed. In His mercy and justice He will show us
otherwise.

Like many, believing I had many promises and confirmations that God would
"grace" us with a pro-life president in this election, I failed to consider
strongly
enough that all promises-even scripture-are conditional 99.9% of the time.
Though I never prophesied or made guarantees that McCain-Palin would win,
failing
to factor this principle in strongly enough no doubt caused me to share my
optimism with others inappropriately. If this caused any harm or confusion,
I apologize.

Has the fact that my prayers weren't answered shaken my faith? No. I'm a
little confused and discouraged. I'm also somewhat angry at the nation in
general
and much of the Church. Mostly I'm grieving over the nation and what this
will cost us. I am not, however, angry with God and do not question His
justice.
And it is not true that we wasted our time, energy and money in our efforts
anymore than it is a waste when we share the gospel with people who don't
get
saved. We must keep in the forefront of our thinking the fact that
ultimately we are doing this for Him and that He will reward us for our
faithfulness.
And who knows, perhaps He will store up all those prayers for the next
battle (Revelation 5:8, 8:3-5).

A friend and fellow warrior said it well,

"We did 'give it our all.' I know the Lord was pleased with that. A coach
wants to know one thing at the end of a heartbreaking sports loss: 'Did you
leave
it all on the field?' (your passion, your commitment, your strength, your
courage, etc.) I know that we 'left it all on the field.' We didn't hold
anything
back until the game ended. Tragically, it ended in defeat. We will rise for
another day because Jesus is worthy."

Where Do We Go from Here?

Does this election outcome shake my faith that we can see a great awakening
and ultimately reformation in America? Absolutely not (and it strengthens my
resolve). We will simply get there through greater pain and loss. Even my
passion to see the Supreme Court shift is not from a presupposition that
there
can be no spiritual awakening without it. It is simply due to my deep
conviction that their decisions bring so much death, destruction, curses and
judgment
to America; and because our full destiny as a nation is unquestionably
linked to their decisions. So, yes, we will get an awakening and
reformation; but
the reality is that this reformation of the nation will reform the Supreme
Court (and government, in general), not vice-versa. My faith has never been
in people or a political party; my faith is in the God who works through
them.

I've been asked if my feelings about Sarah Palin have changed. They have
not. I believe she is an Esther, a Deborah, with a huge mantle from God for
reformation.
God has a great destiny for her related to this nation if she chooses to
continue down this path.

So, in conclusion, we must re-group as an apostolic, praying church and
advance. We must maintain an immovable faith in God, His plans for America
and His
mercy. And we must move beyond simply asking God for a spiritual awakening
and ask Him for strategy to produce reformation, as well. I, for one, am
just
getting started!

For God and this great nation,
Dutch Sheets

Quick Links
www.dutchsheets.org
www.dutchsheets.zoovy.com
www.cbn.com

Forward email

This email was sent to
by

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT |
Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by
Dutch Sheets Ministries | 3945 N. Academy Blvd | Colorado Springs | CO |
80917