ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:57:18 -0500
I got it, Kathy!  And thanks much.  I appreciate your time and energy
it took to put this reply together.
Oh, I thought it was dogs who herd/drive the sheep!  hehehe  Jesus
said, My sheep hear my Voice and I know them, and they follow
Me.   But I guess Rick Warren is not addressing Jesus' sheep, is he?

Gotta run.   Thanks again!

Helen

Earlier you wrote:
Well Helen,
>         Remember, he is talking mostly to baby boomer and Gen X
> people, so I believe that the word driven is used  as opposed to
> wandering.  Also, shepherds do drive the sheep, kind of like
> herding cows.  I grew up on a dairy farm, so that picture works
> better for me, except that I'm not a cow.  GRIN!    If you're
> thinking of driven like craving, like driven to steal to get drugs
> or something, no, that wouldn't be what he means.  Remember, a lot
> of the people of these two generations feel that there is no point
> to life.  They've been taught, all through school, that they are an
> accident.  God doesn't exist and when they die, that's it.  He's
> speaking out against this hopeless point of view to let them know
> that there is a purpose for being here.  It is part of a master
> plan.  I think that part of why there is such a draw to his writing
> is because those who discover him learn that they matter, and
> better yet, they matter to God.
>         I think that that is part of the reason that the book,
> "Purpose Driven Life," didn't really make a big impact on me.  I've
> always believed in the existence of God, and His plan for my life,
> so Rick's words were nothing new for me, but for those who believe
> in that "circle of life," philosophy, that really became popular
> through the movie, "The Lion King," Rick's ideas offer a great deal
> of hope.  Believe me, the first seven chapters stress the need for
> salvation first, before anything else.
>         Now, let's just hope that when I hit send, this gets to you.  GRIN!
>Kathy
>

>At 12:13 PM 12/2/2006, you wrote:
>>Kathy, do you have any idea what he means by "driven"?  It almost
>>sounds as though the purposes he lists are to drive the believer,
>>or non-believer, into doing.  I think of Jesus our
>>Shepherd...........He leads, and his sheep follow Him.
>>Oh well, I don't need to know what he means.  I'm just curious by
>>nature, I guess.
>>Smile
>>Helen

1 Corinthians 13:2  And if I.............understand all mysteries and
all knowledge,.............but have not love, I am nothing.