ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David & Rachel Prince, <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:40:20 -0000
Hi folks,

Yes, Malcolm is right in saying that we do not celebrate thanks-giving here in the UK.

However, some in the UK do express their thanks through harvest festivals.

We recently did this with the folks in our church:, the idea stems from bringing the first fruits of your produce into the storeroom etcetera.

Today, although it is not prominent throughout the UK, there are those who bring things which reflect harvest produce.

In our church a large loaf was made with intricate pieces of wheat made out of flour, yeast, etcetera. Also made was a smaller loaf in the shape of a field mouse which was placed on top of the larger loaf.

Surrounding the bread was a display of other foods including beans, rice, pasta, salt, oil, fruit & vegetables.

The display looked tremendous.

Around the church building on window sills and draped on some seats and other church furniture, were placed branches with red berries, a larger branch still carrying its crab apples, various strands of corn & wheat, dried flowers and other interesting features which we seem to have forgot.

Nevertheless, it all apparently looked very splendid.

It certainly smelt and felt good

!

In recent years other products have been known to be included into the harvest festival, such as toiletries, washing powder, shower gel and the like.

At the end of the festival which includes prayers, praise & worship, hymns of thanks, the produce is then given to charities, organizations and groups which are in need.

The produce from our fellowship was given to a group with a similar emphasis to Teen Challenge.

Of course, for some of us harvest time also has another dimension, for we also recognise the powerful message that the fields are white unto harvest, but the workers are few.

In relation to the turkey and all the trimmings, we in the UK tend to save all that kind of celebration until Christmas Day when we rejoice in the birth of our Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sadly though, the true meaning of Christmas is also being diminished and fading away!

In conclusion:, we rejoice with you in the USA who are celebrating thanks-giving. God certainly has done great things, so many great things.

Let us give thanks to Him for...

The gift of life and love,

His mercy, grace & peace,

For the strength that lifts us up,

thank You Lord.

Amen.

Big blessings,

David & Rachel.

  'Reaching out for Christ,  who has so wonderfully  reached out for us.'

www.newday-prince.me.uk