ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:34:42 -0700
     Recently our grandson has been getting stomach aches.  He has
been to the doctor a couple of times and even blood tests show
nothing.  Well, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure
the little guy is worried about some pretty big things in his life
with is mom in a drug rehab situation and all.  Plus, with his
parents getting divorced, even though he gets to see his mom and
dad and gets along with his step dad very well, these are still
some mighty big things to worry about.  Frankly, they are
impossible things for most adults to live with without being
emotionally effected and he is only eight years old.

     Today, my youngest son, who works in the same house my
grandson goes to school in, begins complaining about another
stomach ache.  His uncle, my young son, brings him home a few
minutes earlier than normal because he is not well at all.  I had
just finished a two and a half hour prayer session with someone
and my son came and told me he had to bring little Everett home
early.  Little Everett, we call him little Everett because he was
named after my youngest son, so my youngest son gets called Big
Everett, was laying on the couch curled up in a ball with a
blanket covering him because he said he was cold.  I talked with
him and he said he couldn't walk because his legs hurt real bad.
He said his stomach was really hurting, too.  I prayed for him and
in a few minutes I went back to check on him.  He was falling
asleep so we let him sleep for a couple of hours.

     We had taken his temperature several times and at one point,
it was over 102 degrees.  So, if you think that we can't have such
physical reactions due to loneliness, sadness, guilt, anger, or
fear, think again.  Our bodies react to things just like our
emotions do.

     By the time he awakens, he is asking if he can go play
because he heard that his uncle and his little brother and his
cousin were playing outside in the backyard.  We let him go play
and he was fine.

     Later in the evening, I went to my grandson's bedroom and
opened the door.  I told him when his TV show was over, I wanted
to talk to him.

     He said, "What did I do now?"

     I said, "You didn't do anything; I just want to talk is all."
He said ok but I know he thought he was still in trouble.

     After his show was over, he came quietly into my room and
asked me what I wanted.  I asked him to sit down in the chair and
I went and sat across from him.  I began by asking him what
happened at school today.  He said nothing, of course, so I asked
him about his stomach ache.  He said it happened when he was
eating lunch.  I asked, "What were you thinking about when you
stomach began hurting.

     He said, "My mom."

     "What about your mom?" I asked.

     He said, "How sad I was and missed her."

     I asked him about how he felt about his mom and he said he
felt bad for her.  I asked how he felt about them getting divorced
and he said he just felt bad.  I asked him if he thought it was
his fault they were getting divorced.  He said no but this had
come up before and he had admitted to us that he felt it was his
fault.  I reminded him that divorced people often get remarried so
that it could happen that way and he said he knew that.  I
additionally asked him if he felt it was his fault about his mom
and where she was now.  He said no.

     I told little Everett I wanted him to think about today when
he was at school and to think about how sad he was and how his
stomach started hurting.  He said ok and I began to pray.  I asked
the Lord if there was anything He wanted to tell Everett.  Nothing
happened for several moments so I told little Everett just to
listen to his own thoughts and let me know if he hears or sees
anything.  He said ok, and I reminded him to think back when he
was in school and eating lunch and then getting very sad when he
missed his mom.  He said ok, he would, and I began to pray again.

     "Lord, is there anything you want to tell little Everett
about his sadness or his stomach pains today or about his mom?"

     My grandson quietly said, "I heard Jesus say that He could do
something about my sadness."

     I told him that was good and prayed again.  "Lord, is there
anything you want to say or show Everett about his sadness he had
today or his stomach ache or even about his mom?"

     After a few moments of waiting, I said, "Everett, do you ever
think that maybe your mom won't come home?"  He said he did think
that sometimes.  I said, "Think about that, Everett, and feel
those feelings you have when you think your mom won't be coming
home and I'll pray again."  He said ok.

     I prayed and said, "Lord Jesus, do you want to say something
to Everett or show him something about his mom?"  Nothing
happened.  I prayed again.  "Lord Jesus, is it true that
Everett's mom is never coming home again?"

     Soon, in a quiet voice, little Everett said, "I heard him
say, no."

     I said, "No, what, Everett?"

     Everett said, "Jesus said, no, it is not true that my mom
won't be coming home."

     I talked with little Everett a little while longer and told
him how important it was for him to remember that Jesus told him
two things tonight.  First, I instructed him, the next time he
started feeling sad, that Jesus told him that He, Jesus, could do
something about his sadness.  I told Everett just to tell Jesus
that he was starting to feel sad and to help him.  Everett said
that he would.  I then told him that any time he feels like his
mom isn't coming home, or if someone tells him she's not coming
home, or if he even hears it in his thoughts that she isn't coming
home, to say, "No, that's a lie.  Jesus said it was a lie that my
mom wasn't coming home."  I additionally instructed to go find
his uncle at the school or to go talk to his teacher about his
feelings.  His teacher, by the way, is my oldest sister.  I also
told him it was important he let me or his grandma know how he was
feeling and what he was thinking.  He said that he would and left
my office.

     I thank God that He, the Creator of all things, even talks to
little eight year old boys about the things they are worried
about.

Phil.

I Flew Kites With Jesus
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com