ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:22:06 -0400
  The Church: The Perfect Church

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the
fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. --1 Thessalonians 5:14

Our lofty idealism would argue that all Christians should be perfect,
but a blunt realism forces us to admit that perfection is rare even
among the saints. The part of wisdom is to accept our Christian
brothers and sisters for what they are rather than for what they should be....

There is much that is imperfect about us, and it is fitting that we
recognize it and call upon God for charity to put up with one
another. The perfect church is not on this earth. The most spiritual
church is sure to have in it some who are still bothered by the flesh.

An old Italian proverb says, "He that will have none but a perfect
brother must resign himself to remain brotherless." However earnestly
we may desire that our Christian brother go on toward perfection, we
must accept him as he is and learn to get along with him. To treat an
imperfect brother impatiently is to advertise our own imperfections.
We Travel an Appointed Way, 55.  A.W. Tozer

"Lord, You know my tendency toward frustration with the imperfect
people. Give me patience and grace today in dealing with others'
imperfections. And give them the same grace in dealing with mine! Amen."