ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jackie Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2015 15:08:35 -0700
I also remember 9 11, I am proud to be an American, and wouldn't have it any
other way.  Yes, they all are heroes, but particularly those who died while
trying to save others, fighting fires, etc.

Although I would never forget 9 11 because so many have given their lives
for our country, I also have a personal reminder of the event.

At 7:00 am., I was boarding a train from Salem to Portland to be with my Mom
when she went into surgery to have the lower portion of her right leg
removed.  She had diabetes, and the leg became infected.  When boarding the
train, the conductor said something like:  "You won't believe what just
happened."  I asked him what happened, but he was already moving to someone
else and saying the same thing.  I found my seat and awaited the conductor
to come and take my ticket.  When he did, I repeated my question, "What
happened?"  He said that a plane just crashed into one of the towers at the
World Trade Center.  As he hurried away, I wondered if it was an accident.
Of course, by the time I got to Portland, after my sister picked me up, I
found out the truth.  For all that day and the following day,   we watched
the TV coverage, while my Mom had her surgery and came out of it ok, (or so
we thought.)

After the second day, I went back to Salem, as I was working at Talking
Books and couldn't take too much time off without prior notice.  Only to
find that a day later, my brother called and said that if I wanted to see
Mom alive once more, I'd better get back to Portland and to the hospital.
She had just had a massive stroke.  She died on September 16, 2001.