ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:21:54 -0700
The Force Of Faith
Installment Two.

Part One.  The Origin Of Faith.

Note.  Four controversial statements about faith.

One.  Faith is a fixed value.
Two.  God has faith.
Three.  You will never have any more faith than you do right now,
that is, since you were born again.
Four.  Faith, and more faith, isn't what we need.

Question.  How, and where, and from whom, did we get our faith.

To answer these questions, we will address the following outline.

A.  The Source of Faith.
B.  The Strength of Faith.
C.  The Size of Faith.

A.  The Source of Faith.

Romans 12:3
God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

     The Greek word for "dealt" in this verse is Dividing or
separating into portions.  The implication is in equal parts.

Illustration.  We give candy to our children.  To be fair, we give
each child the same exact amount.

Note.  God is fair, too.  He has given to each of His children,
the same exact amount of faith.

     The Greek word for "measure" in this verse is (an instrument
used for measurements).  The Greek word for "measurement" in this
verse is where we get our word metric.

Examples.  A ruler is a good example because it can mark off
exact measurements, even to fractions of measurement if needed.
The metric system is a method of exact measurements.  A
metronome, is placed on a piano, which in turns, allows the
musician to keep perfect time as the metronome ticks off the
measurement of perfect time required for that specific piece of
music.

Question.  Why did God give each of us an exact measurement, or
portion, of faith?

Answer.  So that we would harmoniously resonate perfect spiritual
timing with Him.

Question.  What time is it with God?

Answer.  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today,  and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

Note.  God's timing never changes.  He is never late.  He never
forgets what time it is.  He never forgets where you are or loses
track of you.  His desire is for you to keep perfect time with His
will for your life.

Question.  According to Romans 12:3, God hath dealt to every man
the measure of faith, so from whom do we get our faith?

Answer.  God.

Question.  Where did God get it?

Note.  God is righteousness.  God is holy.  God is sinless.  God
is love.

Question.  If God is all of these things, and much more, they are,
therefore, natural to Him as part of His eternal nature and
character.

Question.  so then, can it then be said, since we receive our
faith from God, that God is also faith?

Note.  At this point, people who find this totally unacceptable
reasoning, not to mention poor Biblical interpretation, begin to
say that God can't have faith, even though they agree we get our
faith from Him.  Why do they argue the point?  Because, they
confuse the identity of faith as if it were a human character
trait.  Of course, it is no such thing.  Not if we receive it by
the hand of God, it isn't, and cannot be, human in quality and
origin.

Question.  So, where did we get our faith then?

Hebrew 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.

     The Greek word for "author" in this verse is rendered (head,
leader, captain) as in commander and chief.

     The Greek word "finisher" in this verse is used this one and
only time in the entire New Testament.  It means ( a prefector),
or one who makes something perfect.

Question.  Would Jesus be the author and finisher of something
that wasn't of God's nature in the first place?

Question.  I ask again.  Where did we get our faith?

Answer.  According to the Bible, we receive our exact measure of
faith from the source of faith which is God.

Note.  Human faith is nothing more than confidence and can never
remove mountains as Jesus said the faith He has given us could.
Therefore, the faith we have could not have any other source than
God or it wouldn't do what Jesus said our faith could do in His
name.

End Of Installment Two.