ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:27:10 -0600
                     What Are Demons Anyway?

     Demons are fallen angels.  A third of all the angels in
Heaven were cast out of Heaven with Satan by God.  (See Revelation
12:1-9).  These fallen angels now had no glory of their own
because the glory they had before, came from God's Holiness.

     Demons function by infiltration of the mind, that is, through
our thoughts and feelings.  The Apostle Paul said, "Lest Satan
should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his
devices, (2 Corinthians 2:11).  the New Testament Greek word for
"devices" is the word (noema).  Upon tracing the root words of
(noema) in Greek, it is quickly discerned that the word literally
means our most intimate thought patterns.  Yes, that's where the
Enemy attempts to work against us.  Furthermore, Ephesians 4:27
tells us, "Neither give place to the devil."  The Greek word for
"place" means (to mark off a designated area).  A small closet in
a large house is a good illustration of this Biblical concept.
Quite simply, the Enemy attempts to plant his words in "place" of
God's Word in our minds.

     So, demons used to be angels but now function in the
spiritual realm throughout the earth attempting to confound and
destroy the Christian.  the (MO) of the Enemy, Modus operandi), or
(method of operation), is literally the battle for the mind of the
Christian.

               Can Christian's Be Demon Possessed?

     The simple answer is, no.  This does not mean, however, that
demons cannot effect the life of a Christian.

     In doctrine and theology class during my bible college days,
one of my professors told a very frightening story about a friend
of his, a Christian man, who said he was going to go out and do
spiritual battle with the demonic realm.  A few months later, the
professor was begged by this same man to have him committed to a
mental health facility.  Back then, it would have been referred to
as a psych ward or the nut house but today we are more politically
correct about such things.

     The inference of this story was twofold.  First, if you mess
around with demons, you will go crazy.  The second thing this
professor taught was more felonious doctrine than my first point.
He said, "If you leave the devil alone, he will leave you alone."
I breathed a deep sigh of relief in class that day because I
wasn't planning on messing with the devil.  Unfortunately, I
learned the hard way that my professor could not have been more
wrong.

     The bible clearly teaches we are a new creation upon the
moment of being born again (2 Cor. 5:17).  However, this new
creation the Lord makes, is your human spirit, because it is
within your human spirit that the Holy Spirit comes to dwell (John
14:16-17 & Eph. 1:13).  Furthermore, we are created as a
trichotomy, that is, with a body, soul, and spirit (1 Thes. 5:23).
We know logically the body isn't born again because it not only
experiences disease and other physical afflictions, but it
eventually dies.  Likewise, the soul, which contains our thoughts
and emotions, isn't regenerated, or born anew, because of the
unholiness that comes from the mind at times.  The spirit, on the
other hand, is what is regenerated, recreated, born again, and
where the Holy Spirit of God dwells.

     the bible says it is impossible for light and darkness to
dwell together (Luke 11:34), because we have been delivered from
the power of darkness, (Col 1:12-13), and we are commanded,
therefore, to put off the darkness and to be clothed with God's
armor of light (Rom. 13:12).  Thus, it is impossible for a born
again Christian to be demon possessed.

     The problem comes in to the picture, for Christians, when
they suddenly discover that demons work in two areas upon this
earth.  First, they work in the physical realm to try and keep us
from maintaining close and spiritual intimate fellowship with the
Lord.  Secondly, and perhaps the least obvious, they function in
the area of our thoughts and emotions within our minds.  It is
within our thoughts that lies can be planted which easily distract
us from believing the Truth of God's Word.  The evil lies from the
Enemy cause spiritual bruising, which eventually develop into
painful woundedness, which in turn begin to fester and putrefy and
create so much pain, we no longer can feel God working in our
life.

     I have written extensively on this subject.  If you have any
concerns about this topic, let me recommend, if you have a
computer, you log on to my website.  Read the electronic books
and articles and testimonies which you will find there.
Especially read my electronic online book called "the
Deceitfulness of Sin."  You will discover, from reading this book,
that for the Christian, sin isn't the problem we must worry about;
it is deceitfulness of the Enemy.

      Coil Of The Snake - A Christian Novel By Phil Scovell

     Several months ago, an idea came to mind.  Mentioning it in
passing to some friends, they immediately began encouraging me to
write the story.  I had not planned on doing so because I have
already written a number of manuscripts, booklets, and articles
and getting published in the Christian publishing realm is
extremely difficult.  I have tried many times but have had more
success being published in secular publications than Christian.
Why?  Because generally what is published in the Christian realm
today is promoted by the author on their own national radio or TV
network.  thus, it is an instant Best Seller.  Yes, unfortunately,
even the Christian realm is interested in making big money off of
selling to Christians.  I am not.  So, I wasn't all that
interested in writing Christian fiction.  My friends still
encouraged me so I began.  Soon I finished a manuscript of over
200,000 words.  It is now being proofread by volunteers but will
go through more and more revisions before it is ever submitted to
a publisher.  I am still pessimistic about ever seeing my books in
print unless I go the route of self publishing and that takes a
good $30,000 dollars if you plan on doing it right.  That figure
is just for the printing and wouldn't include traveling for public
appearances and book signings.

     Fortunately, thanks to the internet, there is another way.
All of my books have been reproduced electronically and are free
for anyone to read by logging on to my website.  If my current
fictional Christian book goes no where as far as print is
concerned, it, too, will end up on my website.  Your prayers would
be appreciated concerning this book.  It is a story that must be
told and the church needs to hear it first.

     Some may be wondering what the book is about.  It concerns,
too a great degree, what I do in prayer sessions and I incorporate
true life examples of my own ministry of prayer into the fiction
of the book.

     The story is about a Satanic criminal international
organization which blackmails large ministries and attempts to
destroy every church they can in the process.

     As the story unfolds, a pastor and his church are attacked by
the Satanic cult.  The book weaves a story around this pastor and
his family which includes murder, extortion, satanic ritual
ceremonies, mind control, and evil of all kinds.  Yet, the evil
cult is totally eliminated by the power of God through prayer and
dedicated Christians who know how to help those who have been
tortured, mentally and emotionally programmed, and demonized.  It
is a wonderful testimony of how God is able to work in everyone's
life to bring healing to wounded and broken lives and how
Christians, in every walk of life, can participate in such a
ministry.  Please pray that God's will is done concerning this
book.

                      Safe Place Fellowship

About a year ago, I felt led to begin a home group especially
focused on worship and prayer.  A small group meets in our home
every Friday night at 8:00 P.M. and we sing, praise the Lord, and
spend time in prayer and praying prayers of intercession for
others.  It is also a Safe Place for those with whom I pray in
prayer sessions to come who have discovered it is impossible to
find answers to why they are hurting in their own church.

     If you have prayer requests of any kind, feel free to call
and let us know.  We will bring your request before the Lord on
Friday nights.

    WWW.SafePlaceFellowship.COM - The Website Of Testimonies

     This website is less than a year old.  It contains personal
articles and booklets and electronic books which I have written.
It likewise contains other testimonies of those with whom I have
prayed and how the Lord has set them free.

     coming soon will be recorded testimonies and Bible teachings
which will be in MP3 format for you to listen to online or to
download in order to listen on your own computer.

     Please take time to log on to the website and read the
amazing and miraculous stories of the mind renewing healing people
have received from the Lord.

             EChurch-USA - An Internet Mailing List

     Almost nine years ago, I started a mailing list on the
internet called The Electronic Church.  It is now called EChurch-
USA because some friends in the United Kingdom started their
version of the mailing list in the UK and call it EChurch-UK.

     If anyone isn't familiar with an electronic mailing list, it
is an automated system where by you send an email message to a
single email address.  Copies are then made by the mail server and
sent to each individual, automatically, who are subscribers.  In
this way, you can literally conduct a conversation back-and-forth
with people all over the world.  Email is fast.  within a minute
or less, your message can be seen and read by people all over the
planet.

     EChurch-USA is mostly a support group for Christians.  We
share prayer request and praise reports.  We discuss problems we
face as Christians.  We occasionally discussed theology but only
as it applies to every-day life as a Christian.

     If you have a computer, you are welcome to join us.  Send an
email to [log in to unmask] and let us know of your
desire to join.

                  The Counterbalance Newsletter

     I have no idea how often this newsletter will be printed.
It depends on many factors: How much money I have to produce and
mail it, how many people are interested in receiving it, and the
feedback I receive.  On the other hand, I won't be lacking in
personal testimonies and theological themes to write about.

     If you would like to receive this newsletter whenever it is
printed, please call, email, or write me and I'll make a note in
my database to insure you receive it.

                         Prayer Requests

1.  Pray for my son and his wife, Everett and Donna Scovell.
They are in the process of adopting a little eight month old baby
and a four year old little boy.  They are currently serving as
foster parents to these children but have applied for adoption.

2.  Pray for the Christian novel mentioned in this newsletter
that God will open doors for its publication.

3.  When you think of this ministry, please pray for those
with whom I pray in prayer sessions.

4.  Pray for the expansion of this ministry, that is, for finances
and others with whom to pray as the Lord leads.

5.  Pray for a companion ministry called Shepherd's Voice.  Two
men operate this ministry by the names of Bret and Tim.  Bret
happens to be one of my own prayer partners and whom the Lord used
to lead me into the same form of intercessory prayer ministry.

                    The Lord's Baseball Game

     Freddy and the Lord stood by to observe a  supernatural
baseball game.  The Lord's team was playing  Satan's.  The Lord's
team was at bat, the score was tied  zero to zero, and it was the
bottom of the ninth  inning with two outs.  Things not only
looked pretty grim, it looked right down impossible to most
people.

     As they continued to watch, a batter stepped up to the plate
named Love.  Love swung at the first pitch and hit a single,
because "Love never fails."

     The next batter was named Faith, who also got  a single
because "Faith without works is dead faith."

     The next batter up was named Godly Wisdom.  Satan's first
pitch was a fast ball.  Godly Wisdom looked it over and let it go
and smiled as it passed by the outside corner for ball one.
Satan's next pitch was a curve ball.  Godly Wisdom actually had
to step back to keep from getting hit.  Satan's next pitch was
far wide to the outside for ball three.  Satan's last pitch went
wild and Godly Wisdom  walked because he never swings at what
Satan  throws.  The bases were now loaded.

     The Lord then  turned to Freddy and told him He was now
going to bring in His star player.  Up to  the plate stepped
Grace.  Freddy said, "He  sure doesn't look like much."

     Satan's whole team relaxed when they saw Grace.  Thinking he
was going to tie the game and perhaps win in overtime, Satan
wound up  and fired his absolute best lightning fast ball.  No
one had ever hit Satan's best pitch.  The ball flashed across the
plate but to the shock of everyone,  Grace hit the ball; breaking
the bat in the process.  Satan watched the ball sailing out into
center field and he smiled.  Satan's best player covered center
field so he was not worried because his center  fielder never let
anything get by him.  the player went up for the ball, but it
literally burned right through  his glove.  The crowds went  wild
as the ball continued over the fence for a home run and a grand
slam.  The Lord's team won.

     The Lord then asked Freddy if he knew why Love, Faith and
Godly  could get on base but couldn't win the game.  Freddy  said
that he didn't know why.  The Lord explained, "If your love,
faith and wisdom had won the  game, you would think you had done
it by yourself.  Love, Faith and Wisdom will  get you on base but
only My  Grace can get you Home.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man
should boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give
grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that
walk uprightly.
Psalm 84:11

                           End of Newsletter